The Ohio State University Medical Alumni Society exists to support the advancement of the College of Medicine, its faculty, alumni and student body, pursuing the philosophy "Excellence in Medicine".
- To maintain active and interested medical alumni, promoting fellowship and professional relationships among members of the Society.
- To act as advocates for medical students.
- To act as advocates for physicians in post doctoral medical education programs.
- To assist in recruiting qualified applicants to the College.
- To assist in development activities for the College.
- To promote and facilitate research in the clinical department of the College.
- To provide counsel as requested by the leaders of the College on matters related to the College's advancement.
In 1934, the First Annual Founder's Day Celebration and Centennial Celebration of the College of Medicine and Its Antecedents was held on May 1 - 3. Classes as far back as 1865 were represented with five or six members of the Class of 1884 present. The OSU Monthly referred to the reunion as the "most successful alumni event in Ohio State's history." Copies were sent to each of the 2,240 medical graduates who were not members of the OSU Association. After that successful completion of the Centennial Reunion in 1934, a letter was sent to 2,200 medical alumni (all of those with definite addresses in College files) marking March 1 -2 , 1935 as the dates for the next reunion.
An Alumni Relations Committee organized the program selecting guest speakers for the upcoming reunion. The first Medical Alumni Association president was W.H. Martin '97 of Detroit, MI. At that time the Medical Alumni Association had 301 members.
In 1951, the Medical Alumni Reunion was established and was held on May 14 - 16, where one thousand alumni returned for the Health Center dedication and the Post-Collegiate Assembly of the College of Medicine. The celebration consisted of lectures, receptions, the Medical Dedication Banquet at the Southern Hotel, scientific sessions, and
In 1954, the first annual Medical Alumni Reunion was established to attract alumni into the Association. Planning emphasized the Class reunions with a committee under the chairmanship of Robert J. Murphy '46, Association Secretary.
Ohio State boasts one of the largest medical alumni networks in the world, with more than 12,000 graduates spanning 32 countries and ranging from the current CEO of the American Medical Association to a surgeon doing missionary medicine in Papua New Guinea.
For further history facts: The History of the Medical Alumni Society 1934 - 1990 is available through The Medical Alumni Society, 237 Meiling Hall, 370 West Ninth Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210.
Did you know...
Today, The Medical Alumni Society has a total of 12,000+ graduates (MDs only) from the College of Medicine, a total of 3,000+ residents (physicians who did their training at OSU Hospitals) and 700+ full time faculty at the College of Medicine. All are considered members of The Ohio State University Medical Alumni Society.