The Ohio State University SUCCESS Program
Summer Undergraduate Course
Creating Excellence in Scientific Study
May 22, 2017 - July 29, 2017
The SUCCESS Program enables students to participate in a 10-week research experience hosted by the OSU Medical Scientist (MD-PhD) Training Program. Students will receive a stipend and housing, and will be provided an allowance for travel to and from Columbus. While taking part in this program, students will take valuable professional development courses and learn from engaged mentors, all while working in state-of-the-art research facilities.
SUCCESS seeks to identify outstanding students interested in the biomedical sciences with the goal of pursuing graduate education (MD/PhD or PhD). The program seeks to enhance and foster diversity in graduate study in the biomedical and biological sciences as reflected in culture, class, race, ethnicity, background, work, and life experiences. The program especially encourages applications from a) students from groups underrepresented in medicine and the biomedical sciences, Blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinos, American Indians or Alaskan Natives, Native Hawaiians or other Pacific Islanders, b) students with disabilities, defined as those with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, c) students from economically and educationally disadvantaged backgrounds, and d) others whose backgrounds and experiences would bring diversity to the field.
- Laboratory Research
- Interaction with PhD & MSTP Students
- Professional Development/Ethics Training
- Includes Housing, Travel Allowance and a $3,800 stipend!
- Student's Parents invited to attend the Closing Ceremony
- Expected College Graduation date in 2018 or 2019
- Enrolled in a U.S. 4-year undergraduate institution
- An American citizen or permanent resident
- Please note that students at The Ohio State University that meet the above requirements are eligible to apply
- Summer 2017 Application will be available starting September 15th, 2016
- Before clicking on the online application link please prepare the following items:
- Prepare a list of previous research experiences, including the PI's name, Location, Dates, Project title and description. Please limit your response to 250 words per project. You will use this list to complete a portion of the application.
- Essay: Limit to 300-500 words. Please write a personal statement detailing why you would like to participate in The Ohio State University SUCCESS Program and how it is related to your career goals. Include any prior training or research experience relevant to the program and your goals.
- For 2-3 references please include contact information (name, email, phone number). Please remind your references that their letters will need to be on official letter head.
- Please visit the SUCCESS Faculty tab (located on the left side of this web page) to identify 3-4 faculty members with whom you would like to work with.
- Mail Transcripts: Graves Hall, 1072 | 333 W. 10th Ave. | Columbus, OH 43210