The procedures and information provided on this web page are for the Faculty and Staff of The Ohio State University, Department of Neuroscience. Other Departments may have different procedures to follow.
Please save all forms to your hard drive before completing them - all internal links will then work and you will be able to save a copy to your computer.
When Faculty, Staff, and Students are planning to travel on University business (conferences, presentations, etc.), they must complete a Leave of Absence Form, then go to eTravel AT LEAST 30 DAYS PRIOR TO TRAVEL. If travel is being paid by an external source, eTravel and a Leave of Absence Form still have to be completed.
There is a lot of helpful information at the following website for your travel needs:
- Want the airfare to be pre-paid from University or OSURF funds:
- Call or use travel portal: Travel Solutions, 614-750-4020 (877-678-8785) or UNIGLOBE Travel Designers, 614-237-4488 (800-966-6512)
- Tell them OSU is paying your airfare. Make your flight arrangements – Travel Solutions or UNIGLOBE will email or fax you the arrangements with price and the Record Locator number (located on the itinerary). At this point your airfare is still non-ticketed. You must submit a travel request, choosing prepaid for airfare and listing the travel locator number. (See step 4 for further instructions).
- Once you receive the itinerary (via email/fax), go to eTravel.osu.edu to complete the Travel Request.
(For assistance in completing the Travel Request, go to https://assist-rp.osu.edu/assistTravel/travel_system_NEW/enter_travel_request.html.)
- Enter all requested information including the OSU Program # or OSURF Project # that the travel is to be paid from, name, Employee ID #, departure date, destination, return date, purpose of the trip (attending AHA conference, giving poster presentation, giving a talk at Harvard, etc.), put cost of the airfare under transportation, determine whether you are requesting per diem (Travel - Per Diem) or provide an estimate of meals then will collect restaurant receipts for reimbursement, estimates of lodging, registration, ground travel, etc. If you choose to use University or OSURF funds to pay for your travel, on the eTravel page choose transportation, airfare, prepaid. Then, choose (if not already checked) check to prepay through designated travel agency, pick either Uniglobe of Travel Solutions and type in the Record locator number that was on your itinerary. Once your travel request is approved, a confirmation is sent to Travel Solutions/Uniglobe and your airfare is ticketed. The travel agencies will only hold your ticket for 24 hours, so you must fill out your travel request and make sure it is approved within that time frame to ensure your arrangements go from non-ticketed to ticketed. You will receive email/fax confirmation when these processes take place.
- Complete and submit a Leave of Absence form noting University Business and the dates, etc. you will be gone.
- Want to purchase your airfare on your personal credit card:
- Make your airfare arrangements. When you receive confirmation showing the price of the airfare, make copies (for yourself and one for reimbursement).
- Complete the Travel Request with the OSU Program # or OSURF Project # that the travel is to be paid from, name, Employee ID #, departure date, destination, return date, purpose of the trip (attending AHA conference, giving poster presentation, giving a talk at Harvard, etc.), put cost of the airfare under transportation, airfare, other, determine whether you are requesting per diem (Travel - Per Diem) or provide an estimate of meals then will collect restaurant receipts for reimbursement, estimates of lodging, registration, ground travel, etc.).
- Complete a Leave of Absence form noting University Business and the dates, etc. you will be gone.
- When you travel, keep your boarding passes. You will need to turn these in with your airfare receipt and the Travel Reimbursement Form.
When conference registration is to be paid from OSURF funds, your conference ID badge or a copy of the program materials must accompany the Travel Reimbursement Form.
If you pay for a business meal while traveling, remember the OSU business meal guidelines still apply. You will need to complete either of the following forms: Business Meal Expense Form or Business Meal with Alcohol. Maximum alcohol is still $20.00 per person.
Once the Travel Request is approved, do not go back in to revise unless Travel Solutions or Uniglobe notify you that the airfare has changed.
As soon as you have returned from the travel (no later than 5 days after return), gather all original receipts, including receipts from prepaid registration and travel, then attach to a copy of the Travel Request (.pdf format). Using this is much simpler than the Post Travel Form. Next to the estimated costs, hand write the actual costs to be reimbursed and the final TOTAL amount to be reimbursed. If something was prepaid, note that next to the amount. Receipts should include:
- Original flight itinerary/receipt (shows cost); also boarding passes if airfare was paid by personal credit card.
- Taxi/Shuttle/Rental Car/Airport Parking – total all original taxi/shuttle/rental car/airport parking receipts.
- Total Hotel Cost – total the original itemized hotel receipt/s.
- Registration Cost – attach the original registration receipt (if being paid from an OSURF Project # - also attach your conference ID badge or a copy of conference materials).
- Do you want Per Diem? Yes or No (Travel - Per Diem) If No, turn in all original meal receipts. Your per diem will be caculated from the departure and arrival times at Port Columbus - NOT when you leave and return to your home. Note all meals that were provided at the conference. They will be subtracted from the per diem.
- Attach all the above receipts to the handwritten revised Travel Request Form
- You will receive an email to approve or disapprove the reimbursement online.
All non-OSU employees must complete an AP Payment Compliance Form to be paid for personal expenses or honorariums while on business at OSU. This form can be emailed to Visiting Professors or Speakers prior to their visit to quicken reimbursement time. If the Visiting Professor/Speaker is a non-USA citizen, a copy of their passport and visa needs to be attached to the AP Payment Compliance Form for payment.