Alumni reminisced and re-connected at the 59th Annual Medical Alumni Reunion Weekend, where they celebrated milestones, toured medical center facilities, and experienced that one-of-a-kind Buckeye Spirit.
Ohio State University medical alumni gathered to celebrate the 59th Annual Medical Alumni Reunion Weekend from Friday, October 5 to Sunday, October 7, 2012
All alumni were welcome to attend, and 12 milestone-year classes were featured, from the veteran class of 1947, celebrating their 65-year reunion; to the class of 2007, celebrating their first reunion of just five years.
Regardless of their anniversary year, alumni enjoyed a full weekend of activities:
Friday, October 5
- The class of 1962 celebrated 50 years with lunch at the Ross Heart Hospital Auditorium, where alumni were presented with medallions and memory books to recognize their post-graduation accomplishments.
- Other classes took Friday afternoon to tour the ever growing Medical Center facilities, like the Clinical Skills Education and Assessment Center addition on the top floor of Prior Health Sciences Library, and the Medical Center Expansion project, including the new home of the Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute.
- In addition, a CME focusing on Technology in Relationship Centered Care gave returning alumni the chance to expand their knowledge of the newest capabilities in teaching, beside diagnosis, and emergency protocols.
- About 300 alumni and guests gathered Friday evening for the Alumni Reunion All Class Dinner at the Sheraton Downtown on Capitol Square. The group congratulated alumni achievement awardees, took advantage of more time to catch up, and heard a performance from UltraSound, the medical student a cappella choir.
Saturday, September 10
- Students and alumni gathered Saturday afternoon for the Underrepresented Minority Reception, where Tami Bention, M.D. ‘89, Director of the Division of Child Psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, spoke on “Psychiatric Disorders in Children with HIV Infection”, a panel of College of Medicine alumni shared their experiences in varied health care fields, and the First Annual Clotilde Dent Bowen Women of Excellence Award was presented.
- Over 400 alumni showed their Buckeye Spirit at the tailgate dinner outside of Meiling Hall just before heading to the Shoe for the OSU victory over the Nebraska Cornhuskers.
Sunday, September 11
- The Class of 1962 joined President Gee, Dr. Steven Gabbe, and Dean Charles Lockwood, at the all-university 50th year brunch at the Ohio Union for a finale to the exciting weekend.
- No matter which events alumni attended, reunion provided a great opportunity for them to re-connect with the Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center and remember shared experiences.
“The OSU Men's Glee Club performance at the Class of 1962 dinner, the recognition of classmates with military experiences, and an enthusiastic bear hug from one of my fellow alumni were only some of the highlights of reunion weekend for me,” said Dr. William B. Mahaffey, a graduate of the Class of 1962, which was celebrating its 50-year reunion. “Like most of my classmates, I had drifted away from contact with them over the years, but the reunion allowed me to revive old friendships and develop pride for the many ways my classmates have pursued diverse careers.”
If it’s been a while since you’ve been back, we hope you’ll plan to join us in 2013 for our 60th Annual Medical Alumni Reunion. Place it on your calendar for Friday, October 18 – Sunday, October 20, 2013. We hope to see you there!