The Ohio Collaborative for Clear Health Communication (OCCHC) first met on April 8, 2008. The group was brought together by The Ohio State University College of Medicine - Office of Outreach & Engagement and Area Health Education Center (AHEC).
The Collaborative members represent public and private state-wide organizations that have an interest in and an impact on health literacy within healthcare systems, industry, or in communities. These organizations demonstrated interest by including health literacy workshops at their conferences and by involvement in health literacy initiatives such as establishing learning centers, conducting research, developing community and professional education, and integrating health literacy into adult literacy programming.
The Collaborative has had a total of 5 meetings since 2008, each Spring and Fall, with the Fall meetings held in conjunction with an annual conference in Columbus, OH. Our activities so far include:
- Discussing other state initiatives and lessons for Ohio
- Reviewing the OSU / AHEC Clear Health Communication Program
- Envisioning a state-wide effort
- Proposing program activities with benchmarks
- Developing a mission statement and goals
- Establishing 3 workgroups for identifying tasks and developing action plans to meet the goals/objectives
- Developing a website for the Collaborative, as a part of the AHEC website.
Our group consists of members from the following organizations:
Please contact us with questions or for further information on the
Ohio Collaborative for Clear Health Communication.