Looking Back With Pride
100 years ago, a group of forward-thinking central Ohioans recognized the value of integrating medical education with innovative research and scientific-based care. In 1914, The Ohio State University opened our College of Medicine, and academic medicine was born. Since that time, over 20,000 medical alumni have trained at Ohio State.
Highlights of the past 100 years
Below we celebrate some of the milestones in our rich history! Look for a more comprehensive interactive timeline in the coming months as we honor how our legacy has unfolded.
When first-year students arrived on campus in the fall of 2013, they received something other than the traditional armful of textbooks - they received iPads.
The College of Medicine takes another step forward in medical education with the launch of its innovative Lead.Serve.Inspire curriculum, which prepares future physicians and medical scientists for leadership positions in an ever-changing healthcare environment.
Ground is broken on a major expansion of The Ohio State University Medical Center (now the Wexner Medical Center). The $1.1 billion revitalization of the research, education and patient care spaces, utilities, infrastructure and green spaces across our Medical Center campus, is the largest expansion project in Ohio State's history.
The National Institutes of Health awards a $34-million, five-year CTSA grant to Ohio State University and Nationwide Children's Hospital to fund the Center for Clinical and Translational Science. It's among the largest research grants in the University's history.
Ohio State surgeons, already nationally known for leadership in minimally invasive procedures, are the first in North America to perform robotic surgery using the da Vinci.
Bertha Bouroncle, MD, leads an Ohio State team to develop a lifesaving drug (deoxycoformycin) protocol to treat hairy cell leukemia, a disease she identified in 1958.
Creative Living, an 18 apartment unit complex opened just east of the OSU Medical Center for physically disabled adults, as an alternative to skilled nursing facilities. Dr. Ernest Johnson was one of the founders, and a second 16 unit building opened in 1986.
The building housing Ohio State's School of Allied Medical Professions is completed. Ohio State opens its first helipad, allowing patients to arrive via helicopter.
A 3-year medical school curriculum spanned this time period and then returned to a 4-year curriculum in 1980. In 1973, a 3-year and 4-year class graduated from the College of Medicine
Ohio State begins an innovative program of medical education based on independent study.
Ohio State cardiologists, led by James Warren, MD, create the Heartmobile, the nation's first mobile coronary care unit. It is a major advancement enabling first responders to provide lifesaving care en route to Ohio State's Emergency Department.
Researchers develop the Hunt and Hess scale to classify the severity of a subarachnoid hemorrhage.
Arthur G. James, MD, begins a personal quest to create the first freestanding cancer center in the Midwest at Ohio State.
In response to World War II's demand for more doctors, Ohio State's College of Medicine establishes a two-year pathway to a medical degree.
The Alpha Omega Alpha Gamma (AOA) Chapter was founded at Ohio State in 1933. AOA is the only academic honor medical society in the world.
During difficult economic times, there's a push to transform Ohio State's hospital into a sole charity care provider.
Ohio State's Board of Trustees take a visionary step by dedicating the area along Neil Avenue, between 10th and 11th avenues, as the expansion site for the College of Medicine. Ohio State would go on to become one of the few campuses in the nation with medical research, education and patient care within walking distance of other world-class health and science research and education facilities. This proximity is a major contributor to interdisciplinary scholarship leading to world-class discoveries.
Columbus Children's Hospital affiliated itself with the OSU College of Medicine; 1918 was the year the two institutions entered into an agreement to share talent and resources.
Ohio State's College of Medicine is established, beginning a century of leadership in medical research, education and patient care. William Means, MD, is Ohio State's first dean of the College of Medicine.
Medical school class in 1960
A view of the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and newly renovated Prior Health Sciences Library and Clinical Skills Lab
Bertha A. Bouroncle, MD, was the first to identify hairy cell leukemia and later helped develop an effective therapy for it.
Clotilde Bowen, first African-American female to graduate from Ohio State's medical school (1947), as well as the first African-American female physician in the U.S. Army.
James V. Warren and the Heartmobile, 1969. Concept of rapid intervention in heart disease has been saving lives ever since.
Drs. Meckstroth, Sirak and Klassen
Henry Cramblett, Dean, 1973-1980
Students test iPads, College envisions near-term future whereby a medical student's lessons, communications, research, and clinical experiences are all centralized on the iPad.
Robert M. Zollinger, MD in Surgery, 1950's
Wearing Google Glass, orthopaedic surgeon Christopher Kaeding, MD, performed one of the first live surgeries on Aug. 21, 2013.
In 1915 Mabel Roe Codding Clovis was the first woman to graduate from the OSU College of Medicine
A medical student teaching high school students interested in the medical field, 2013
Hamilton Hall and Starling-Loving Hospital, 1934
Aerial photo of Meiling Hall
7 West Chart Rack Gathering
Bernadine Healy, MD, 1995. Considered a trailblazer for women in medicine, Healy was the first woman to be named Dean at the College of Medicine.
Senior Recitation Room in the Park Street Property, used until the mid-1920s
Aerial view of medical center campus, 1964
William Means, Dean of the College of Medicine, 1914-1916
Current Education leadership Dr. Dan Clinchot, Vice Dean for Education, Dr. Joanne Lynn, Associate Dean for Student Life and Dr. John Davis, Associate Dean for Medical Education
Reading Room in the Park Street Property, 1910's
Trailblazers. Visionaries. Heroes. Buckeyes.
This year, The Ohio State University College of Medicine marks its 100th anniversary - a century of pushing scientific boundaries, building future leaders and changing the face of medicine.
It's a tradition of excellence borne of our leaders, who have guided us through both challenging and triumphant times, making Ohio State one of the greatest academic medical centers in the country. We celebrate them here.
Clotilde Bowen: 1940s and 1950s
A trailblazer. The first African-American female graduate of the College. The first African-American female physician in the U.S. Army. The first African-American female colonel. Dr. Bowen received the Bronze Star and the Legion of Merit for her efforts to establish drug treatment centers and ease racial tension during the Vietnam War. She was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal in 1974.
Charles Doan: 1940s and 1950s
A rock through tumultuous times for both the College and the country. Dr. Doan confirmed humans can live without spleens, and splenectomies could cure certain blood disorders.
Robert Zollinger: 1940s
A surgical giant. Dr. Zollinger redefined surgery at Ohio State, and was known for being as challenging with residents as he was kind to patients. Dr. Zollinger and colleague Dr. Edwin Ellison identified Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, a rare disorder that causes tumors in the pancreas and duodenum, and ulcers in the stomach and duodenum.
Bertha Bouroncle: 1950s through 1980s
A pioneer for cancer research. In one of the greatest scientific breakthroughs ever recorded at Ohio State, Dr. Bouroncle identified hairy cell leukemia and later helped develop an effective therapy for it.
Richard Meiling: 1960s
An innovator of air and space medical education. Dr. Meiling developed the first hospital-based helicopter rescue service in the United States.
Ernest Johnson: 1970s through 2000s
A rehabilitation visionary. Dr. Johnson established the nation's premier program in physical medicine and rehabilitation at Ohio State. Dr. Johnson also led the drive to make all of Ohio State wheelchair-accessible, a first for the country.
Manuel Tzagournis: 1980s and 1990s
A lifelong Buckeye. From bachelor's degree to fellowship. From instructor to dean, to leader of the Medical Center. Dr. Tzagournis was as much recognized for endocrinology as he was for being the face of medicine at Ohio State.
Bernadine Healy: 1990s
A women's health hero. Before becoming dean of the College in 1995, Dr. Healy was the first woman admitted to Harvard's cardiology program, the first female White House science-policy adviser, and the first woman to direct the National Institutes of Health, where she launched the Women's Health Initiative, a $625 million study of the causes, cures and prevention of diseases that affect women.