Ohio State’s Primary Care Track (OSU-PCT) is intended for students interested in a career in family medicine.
Approved through the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) -- the accreditation board for medical colleges in the US and Canada -- this three-year medical school program offers a family medicine residency curriculum in the Ohio State University Family Medicine Residency Program, culminating in the MD degree. Students graduating from the OSU- PCT will be offered acceptance into the OSU Family Medicine Residency Program.
The OSU-PCT offers clinical experiences early in the program, beginning prior to the first day of medical school classes. First-year students are assigned to a clinical site, which continues throughout the three years of medical school, allowing students to become an integral part of the health care team.
The core curricular objectives of the three-year program are identical to the college’s four-year tract -- the Lead. Serve. Inspire curriculum, which introduces hands-on experience early in the program through longitudinal, practice-based, clinical service. The Family Medicine Learning Community Plus is an additional longitudinal curricular experience that encompasses specialty topics such as physician wellness, reflective journaling, leadership, population management, collaborative team based care, preventive health, informatics, care planning and coordination.
In addition to the cost savings of a three-year versus a four-year program, the OSU-PCT offers financial support for paid tuition.
- An accelerated curriculum leading to the MD degree in 3 years
- Core curricular objectives that are identical to the college’s four-year track, the Lead.Serve.Inspire curriculum
- Tuition Scholarship,covering 50% of in-state tuition all three years
- Progression into the OSU Family Medicine Residency Program
- Completion of medical school and residency training in Family Medicine in 6 years
Students must demonstrate a commitment to academic excellence, social responsibility and a strong desire to enter into a career in Family Medicine. Only students who meet the following criteria will be considered for the program:
- Strong motivation to enter into Family Medicine
- Maturity necessary to be successful in an accelerated three year program
- An academic record predictive of success in an accelerated three-year program
- Application for this program opens June 7, 2016 via the AAMC American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS)
- Selection will be competitive with 2 to 4 slots available: criteria for selection include a demonstrated interest in primary care and the maturity and academic credentials predictive of success in an accelerated, three-year curriculum
- Applicants to The Ohio State University College of Medicine will not be permitted to apply to both the standard 4-year MD program AND the Primary Care Track; applicants may choose only one of these programs.
- First, designate The Ohio State University on the electronic AMCAS application, and select Regular MD as the application type.
- Next, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions on specific steps to follow to apply to OSU-PCT.
- Please note that your application to the OSU-PCT program will not be complete until you have informed the College of Medicine of your interest in this program.
- Competitive applicants will be sent a secondary application. Your application to the OSU College of Medicine Primary Care Track is complete when your secondary application is received.
- Qualified applicants are invited for interviews, which take place from September to March.
For more information on the Primary Care Track and directions on how to apply, please contact us at email@example.com.