Ohio State Navbar

Sign In

Archives

April 2012 (54)
May 2012 (5)
June 2012 (20)
July 2012 (3)
August 2012 (7)
October 2012 (15)
November 2012 (5)
December 2012 (9)
January 2013 (7)
February 2013 (3)
March 2013 (5)
April 2013 (9)
May 2013 (15)
June 2013 (6)
July 2013 (7)
August 2013 (7)
September 2013 (7)
October 2013 (7)
November 2013 (4)
December 2013 (3)
January 2014 (8)
February 2014 (11)
March 2014 (12)
April 2014 (12)
May 2014 (9)
June 2014 (5)
July 2014 (5)
August 2014 (12)
September 2014 (9)
October 2014 (5)
November 2014 (16)
December 2014 (4)
July 2016 (15)
January 2015 (3)
February 2015 (5)
March 2015 (12)
April 2015 (9)
May 2015 (7)
June 2015 (8)
July 2015 (10)
August 2015 (10)
September 2015 (12)
October 2015 (6)
November 2015 (19)
December 2015 (5)
January 2016 (6)
February 2016 (4)
March 2016 (5)
April 2016 (11)
May 2016 (2)
June 2016 (3)
August 2016 (6)
October 2016 (3)
November 2016 (19)
December 2016 (4)
January 2017 (10)
February 2017 (8)
March 2017 (5)
April 2017 (1)
June 2017 (3)
July 2017 (13)
August 2017 (12)
September 2017 (7)
October 2017 (4)
November 2017 (6)
January 2018 (17)
March 2018 (4)
April 2018 (5)
May 2018 (15)
May 2017 (3)
June 2018 (8)
July 2018 (8)
August 2018 (17)
September 2018 (6)
October 2018 (4)

Categories


RSS Feed Alumni News


James Louis Carvelas, M.D. (Res. Grad) (1923-2013) 

 

James Louis Carvelas, M.D., was born to Louis and Johanna Carvelas on June 7, 1923, in Youngstown, Ohio. His siblings include George Carvelas, deceased, Toula Phillips of Youngstown, Ohio, and Matina Thomas, deceased, of Pinehurst, N.C.
Dr. Carvelas graduated from the Rayen School in 1941, Wittenberg University in 1945 and the College of Medicine, University of Cincinnati in 1948. He trained for three years at Ohio State University Hospital and two years at Lahey Clinic in Boston, Mass., in internal medicine. He served as a private in the infantry in 1944 and as a Captain in the Medical Corps from 1953 to 1955.
Dr. Cavelas married Thelma (also known as Terry) Latchis of Brattleboro, Vt., in 19522. He was a founder of the Scarsdale Medical Group in 1961 and practiced internal medicine there until his retirement in 1994. He was a staff member of White Plains Hospital, N.Y., and served as an officer and President of the Staff from 1970 to 1978, and was a member of the Board of Governors of the hospital from 1974 to 1978. He was also a staff member of St. Agnes Hospital in White Plains, N.Y. from 1955 to 1994.
Dr. and Mrs. Carvelas were founders of the Greek Orthodox Church of our Saviour in Harrison, N.Y., in 1957 and served on a variety of committees while living in Rye, N.Y. after his retirement in 1994, James and Terry moved to Park City, Utah, and lived there until James' death on June 24, 2013.
Dr. Carvelas loved music and was proficient with the violin. He was an avid photographer, especially with the Western landscapes and his family. He loved tennis and golf and was very active until the last few years of his life. He had many long and enduring friendships that lasted decades. He deeply loved his wife and family. He is survived by his wife, Terry, and five children: Louis, Paul, Philip, Donald, and Ann Fullerton (wife of John).

 

Posted on 25-Sep-13 by Pond, Deborah
Tags: Alumni Notes, Obituaries, Residency Notes
 
Trackback Url  |  Link to this post | Bookmark this post with: