Ohio State Navbar

Sign In

Archives

April 2012 (54)
May 2012 (5)
June 2012 (20)
July 2012 (3)
August 2012 (7)
October 2012 (15)
November 2012 (5)
December 2012 (9)
January 2013 (7)
February 2013 (3)
March 2013 (5)
April 2013 (9)
May 2013 (15)
June 2013 (6)
July 2013 (7)
August 2013 (7)
September 2013 (7)
October 2013 (7)
November 2013 (4)
December 2013 (3)
January 2014 (8)
February 2014 (11)
March 2014 (12)
April 2014 (12)
May 2014 (9)
June 2014 (5)
July 2014 (5)
August 2014 (12)
September 2014 (9)
October 2014 (5)
November 2014 (16)
December 2014 (4)
July 2016 (15)
January 2015 (3)
February 2015 (5)
March 2015 (12)
April 2015 (9)
May 2015 (7)
June 2015 (8)
July 2015 (10)
August 2015 (10)
September 2015 (12)
October 2015 (6)
November 2015 (19)
December 2015 (5)
January 2016 (6)
February 2016 (4)
March 2016 (5)
April 2016 (11)
May 2016 (2)
June 2016 (3)
August 2016 (6)
October 2016 (3)
November 2016 (19)
December 2016 (4)
January 2017 (10)
February 2017 (8)
March 2017 (5)
April 2017 (1)
June 2017 (3)
July 2017 (13)
August 2017 (12)
September 2017 (7)
October 2017 (4)
November 2017 (6)
January 2018 (17)
March 2018 (4)
April 2018 (5)
May 2018 (15)
May 2017 (3)
June 2018 (8)
July 2018 (8)
August 2018 (17)
September 2018 (6)
October 2018 (4)

Categories


RSS Feed Alumni News


’57 Daniel F. Reynolds, MD (1932-2013) 

 

 Dr. Reynolds.jpg
Daniel F. Reynolds was born on January 8, 1932 in East Liverpool, Ohio and graduated from East Liverpool High School in 1949. He was active in the choir and music groups. Dan was a 1953 graduate of Miami University with a major in zoology and continued his joy of singing in a gospel quartet.

He attended Ohio State Medical School graduating in 1957. He again enjoyed being in the Christian Medical Society Quartet. All members of the quartet later did mission work in various countries of the world.

The summers after his freshman and sophomore years of medical school, Dan spent working at the Toomy Polio Wards where he and David Miller, also a medical student, were concerned about the high temperatures that patients confined in iron lungs were subject to. They contacted a commercial refrigeration and air conditioning company who adapted an air conditioner to the iron lung.

In September, 1955, Daniel married Irene Jane Barbour.

Dan did a rotating internship at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania from 1957 to 1958 and a surgical residency at Columbia Hospital in Wilkinsburg from 1958 to 1959.

Dan and Jane answered the call to medical mission services and were appointed by the Presbyterian Church USA to serve in Ethiopia. After a five month study program they were commissioned on December 14, 1959 at the Church of the Master in Harlem, N.Y. along with 36 others to 12 different countries. Travel was delayed due to visa difficulties but by June, 1960, Dan and Jane and their two small children arrived in Ethiopia.

Dan spent the first year seeing patients and setting up the clinic, a laboratory, prenatal and well-baby care with assistance from his wife Jane, a nurse, two volunteer nurses, and an assistant who also helped translate.
In 1961 Dan and Jane did ten months of language study in the town of Gore, in the Illubabor region. A week after arriving he delivered their third child, a daughter, born prematurely and weighing 2 lbs. 10 ounces.

From 1962 to 1964 Dan spent his time in Pokwo assisting in enlarging the clinic to a ten bed facility. Dan also learned to repair outboard motors because his practice included river travel to outlying villages.
During a furlough leave from 1964 to 1965 Dan earned a Master’s in Public Health from Johns Hopkins University.

Returning to Pokwo, Dan continued his medical work. In addition to doctoring a wide variety of ailments from crocodile bites to gunshots wounds at the clinic, Dan immunized against smallpox and tuberculosis and established treatment centers for sleeping sickness in Pokwo and at a sister station near Gilo River. He also served as Medical Director at various hospitals in the area, and published a health manual for the Gambela area.

After returning to Ohio in 1977, Dan and Jane settled in Cleveland Heights and joined Fairmount Presbyterian Church where he served as Deacon and Elder. Dan worked in the Hough Norwood Family Health Care Center until his retirement in January of 2000. He also served as a Clinical Assistant Professor at Case Western Reserve University and as University of North Dakota School of Medicine Clinical Instructor, Community Medicine and Rural Health.

Dan and Jane maintained ties and their commitment to Ethiopia after returning to the U.S. They were instrumental in helping many Ethiopian students settle in the Cleveland area and arranged for other Ethiopians to get medical treatment. They also arranged for medical supplies to get to Ethiopia. For 30 years they hosted an annual picnic for friends of the Ethiopian American community.

Dan was a member of The Ohio State Medical Association; American Medical Association; Christian Medical Association; American Board of Family Physicians; and a life member of the OSU Alumni Association.

Dan leaves his wife of 58 years, Jane Reynolds (nee Barbour). A son, Mark Reynolds (Nicolette Petrone) of Cleveland, OH., daughter Katharine Coan (P. Richard) of Solon, OH., and daughter Nancy Wilson (Daniel) of Russell, OH. He was the grandfather of Timothy, Stephen, Luke and William; Samuel and Heather. His sister, Barbara Morris, lives in Pennsylvania.

The family prefers that those who wish may make contributions in his name to the New Wilmington Mission Conference, 229 South Market Street, New Wilmington, PA., 16142 or the Memorial Fund of Fairmount Presbyterian Church, 2757 Fairmount Blvd., Cleveland Heights, OH., 44118 where Memorial Services will be held on Saturday, October 26th at 12 Noon.




 

Posted on 7-Oct-13 by Pond, Deborah
Tags: Class of 1950 - 1959, Obituaries, Alumni Notes
 
Trackback Url  |  Link to this post | Bookmark this post with: