The Ohio State University medical alumni gathered to celebrate the 60th Annual Medical Alumni Reunion Weekend, October 18 – 20. All alumni were welcome to attend, and 13 milestone-year classes were featured, from the veteran class of 1953, celebrating their 60-year reunion; to the class of 2008, celebrating their first reunion of just five years. Regardless of their anniversary year, alumni enjoyed a full weekend of activities:
- The class of 1963 celebrated 50 years with lunch hosted by Dr. Charles Lockwood, Dean of the College of Medicine, and Dr. Steve Gabbe, CEO of the OSU Wexner Medical Center. Classmates were presented with medallions and memory books to recognize their post-graduation accomplishments.
- In addition, Back to the Future of Medical Education gave returning alumni the chance to experience what it’s like to become a student again through an interactive journey from admissions to match day.
- About 265 alumni and guests gathered Friday evening for the Alumni Reunion All-Class Dinner at the Columbus Athenaeum. The group congratulated alumni achievement awardees, took advantage of more time to catch up, and heard a performance from UltraSound, the medical student a-cappella choir.
- Students and alumni gathered for the Underrepresented Minority Reception, where David Hamlar, M.D. ’89 DDS, Otolaryngologist Craniofacial Surgeon and assistant professor at the University of Minnesota, spoke about ENT Reconstructive Surgery and Facial Transplantation. Leon McDougle, MD ’89 provided a reflection of the first 100 days as Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center’s first chief diversity officer and Wilburn H. Weddington Sr., MD, Professor Emeritus of Family Medicine at Ohio State provided a brief reading of his newly released autobiography. Additionally, Annual Clotilde Dent Bowen Women of Excellence Award was presented to Rogette Esteve, Med 2.
- Over 200 alumni and guests showed their Buckeye Spirit at the tailgate lunch outside of Meiling Hall just before heading to the Shoe for an OSU victory over the Iowa Hawkeyes.
- The Class of 1963 joined Interim University President, Dr. Joseph Alutto and Dean Charles Lockwood, at the all-university 50th year brunch at the Ohio Union for the finale to an exciting Homecoming-Reunion Weekend.
- No matter which events alumni attended, reunion provided a great opportunity for them to re-connect with the Ohio State’s College of Medicine and remember shared experiences.
If it’s been a while since you’ve been back, we hope you’ll plan to join us in 2014 for our 61st Annual Medical Alumni Reunion. Place it on your calendar for Friday, October 17 – Sunday, October 19, 2014. We hope to see you there!