Edmund Bernard Weis, Jr. Died on September 13, 2014 at his home in Redlands, California. He was born on August 4, 1931 in Bismarck, North Dakota to Edmund and Margaret Weis. He spent his childhood in Evanston, Wyoming where he enjoyed hunting, fishing and the great outdoors. Upon graduating from Evanston High School he entered the Pre-medical programs at University of Utah in Salt Lake City and University of Notre Dame in Notre Dame, Indiana from 1949-1953. He continued his medical studies at the University of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado graduating with his Medical Doctor degree in 1957. After completing his internship at Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix, Arizona he entered the United States Air Force where he served from 1957-1966 . During that time he attended Drexel Institute of Technology in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and earned a Master's degree in Bioengineering. He worked in the Aerospace Medical Research Laboratories at Wright–Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio and the Biodynamics Laboratory as Chief of the Vibration & Impact Branch for the Mercury Astronaut Crew Selection. He attained the rank of Major at which time he was honorably discharged. From 1966-1968 he continued working in the Department of Defense as a Civilian Research Medical Doctor with consultancies at the Cox Coronary Heart Institute in Bioengineering in Dayton, Ohio. In 1968-1971 he attended Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio where he became a doctoral candidate in Engineering Mechanics and completed his Orthopaedic Residency training at the Ohio State University Hospitals. On completion of his Residency he joined the faculty at Ohio State University Hospitals from 1971-1976 as an Assistant professor. In 1972 he was Board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. From 1976 -1979 he accepted a position as Associate Professor of Orthopaedics at the University of North Dakota Medical School in Grand Forks, North Dakota and also served as Assistant Dean of Area Health Education. In 1979 he accepted a position as Professor and Chairman of the Orthopaedic Residency program at Creighton University Medical School in Omaha, Nebraska. He left there in 1985 accepting the position of Clinical Professor at Loma Linda University Medical Center Loma Linda, California and section chief of Orthopaedics at the Jerry L. Pettis Memorial Veterans Hospital until his retirement in 1999. He studied Law at the University of LaVerne and Newport University in California from 1990 – 1994 and was successfully admitted to the Bar in 1994 as a Juris Doctor. During his academic and professional careers he received many awards and appointments one of which was as an 1971 North American Travelling Fellow of the American Orthopaedic Association. He authored over thirty-seven published articles and was the inventor of a Sonic Tool for Surgery and a Method & System for Control of a powered prosthesis.
In spite of his great knowledge he was a very simple man. His passion included restoring old Ford motorcars circa 1929-1941, his love of books that ran the spectrum from the eleven volumes of the History of Civilization by Will and Ariel Durant, the theories of the ancient and modern philosophers, the writings of Ayn Rand, George Bernard Shaw, books by Tom Clancy to the elegance of string theory in physics and the writings of Stephen Hawking to name a few.
He is survived by his beloved wife Annette, his children John Paul, Giselle, Susan, Melanie, Edmund III (Bernie), Bronwyn and eight grandchildren. His brother John, wife Janet, five nephews and three nieces.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in his name to the building fund of the proposed new church of the Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church, 115 W Olive Ave, Redlands, CA.