Applications to our residency program are processed through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS) using the National Residency Match Program (NRMP) match rules. All applications are reviewed, and if your application meets our selection criteria, you will receive an email inviting you to contact us to schedule your interview. Please contact us if you have questions regarding your application status.
Application must include:
- Common application form
- Four recommendation letters
- Internal Medicine Department letter, clerkship director letter or equivalent
- Pediatrics Department letter, clerkship director letter or equivalent
- Letters from two faculty, at least one attesting to your skills in pediatrics and/or internal medicine
- Medical school transcripts
- USMLE or COMLEX transcripts
- Personal statement
- Graduate of an accredited US or Canadian medical school within the last 5 years
- Naturalized or permanent US citizen
- Passing USMLE or COMLEX Step 1 scores (passing Step 2 CK and CS scores required prior to starting residency). Minimum score requirement is dependent upon average scores for the applicant pool. These minimum score requirements are not released.
International medical graduates additional requirements:
- Graduation from medical school within the last 5 years
- Possess a J1 visa and current, valid ECFMG certificate or full unrestricted license to practice medicine in Ohio
- One year of US or Canadian clinical training in a residency program (observerships do not meet this requirement)
Interviews are conducted October through early January. You will be notified of available interview dates when invited to schedule your interview.
Your interview day will begin at 6:30 am. A shuttle will transport you from the hotel to OSU at 6:45 am.
The morning schedule at Ohio State will be:
- Resident Report
- Ohio State welcome and introductions
- Introduction with Med Peds Program Leadership
- Faculty interviews
- Ohio State tour
- Shuttle to NCH at 12:30 pm
The afternoon schedule at NCH will include:
- Resident roundtable and lunch
- NCH tour
- Faculty interviews
- South High Med-Peds Primary Care Clinic tour
- Shuttle back to Marriott Columbus University Area
The interview day will end at 5:00 pm – please keep this in mind when making any travel arrangements. Travel time from NCH or the hotel to the airport is approximately 20-30 minutes.
Our Selection Committee will meet the end of January to review the files of all interviewed applicants. The rank order list will be submitted to NRMP in mid-February.
Should your visit here require that you arrive the day before your scheduled interview, please indicate your need for a hotel room when scheduling your interview. Our applicants are provided hotel accommodations at Marriott Columbus University Area. Our office will handle all reservations. A credit card will be required at check-in for any additional expenses that you may incur.
A dinner will be hosted by the Med-Peds residents at a local restaurant at 6:00 pm the evening prior to your interview. Details for the evening will be sent to you after you schedule your interview.