Our History

For more than 80 years, the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences has established a tradition of excellence in ophthalmology. Our dedication to personalized care will maintain that level of excellence well into the future. Today, the Department of Ophthalmology sees more than 87,000 patients a year. Faculty are involved in a number of multi-center clinical trials funded by the National Eye Institute.

Department Timeline

Starling Loving_940x670

1914

Starling Ohio Medical College joined Ohio State and became The Ohio State University Medical College, and the Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology Department was established.
State Street_940x670

1929

Recognizing the need for specialization, the Department of Ophthalmology was officially formed and located on State Street.
University Hospitals

1938

The State Street clinic was moved to the University Hospitals.
Faculty_940x670

1946

The eye clinic is moved to occupy a small space adjacent to the old emergency room.
Havener_940x670

1959

William Havener, MD became the first full-time ophthalmologist. The eye clinic was expanded to a large central room for interviewing and refracting patients, a treatment room, a small classroom, and a visual field room.
UH Clinic_940x670

1975

With the number of patients growing from 1,900 to 16,000 in a year, the Department took up residence in the newly constructed Outpatient Clinic building.
Dublin_940x670

1996

To meet the needs of Columbus' increasing suburban population, the Department established two satellite clinics in Dublin, Ohio.
EEI_940x670

2009

The Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences moved to a new location across the Olentangy River with more than 28,000 square feet, patient exam facilities and a state-of-the-art surgery center.
Outpatient Care East_940x670

2012

A satellite clinic for diabetic eye screening was opened at CarePoint East.
Westerville_940x670

2018

In Summer 2018, The Department of Ophthalmology opened a third office in Westerville. 

Share this page