Notable additions to the Department of Surgery include:
Carrie Sim, MD, PhD, FACS – Director of Trauma, Critical Care and Burn
- An accomplished trauma surgeon with basic science research laboratory focused on mitochondrial dysfunction in late-stage hemorrhagic shock
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- The first recipient of the Olga Jonasson, MD, Professorship in Surgery, which recognizes surgeons dedicated to encouraging and enabling female surgeons to realize their professional and research goals
- Coordinator for the American College of Surgeons Women in Surgery Committee’s Mentoring Match program and research mentor for the STEMPREP program, which matches underrepresented or minority high school students in labs for the summer.
Michael Vallely, MBBS, PhD – Surgical Director of Structural Heart
- Recruited from Sydney, Australia
- International expert in off-pump CABG, which gives Ohio State a new treatment option that isn’t available anywhere else in central Ohio.
- Clinical interest centered on elderly and high-risk patients, including total-arterial, anaortic, and off-pump CABG surgery; transcatheter and sutureless valve technologies; and minimally invasive heart and lung surgery
Wendy Wahl, MD, FACS, FCCM – Medical Director for the Surgical Intensive Care Unit and Program Director for the Surgical Critical Care Fellowship
- Over 20 years of experience caring for critically ill patients
- Recognized teacher and educator
- Fellow of American College of Critical Care Medicine and the American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Member of Society of Critical Care Medicine, Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma, American Burn Association and American Association for the Surgery of Trauma