Surgical education and the training of medical students, residents, fellows, and physicians in practice is an integral piece of our division’s academic endeavors. We strive as a group to cultivate those individuals with a passion for surgery, through one-on-one teaching opportunities, educational course series options, and hands-on instruction in clinical and laboratory settings. Our Vascular Surgery residents and fellows have developed impressive clinical publications and presentations.
List of Accomplishments in Research (July 2019 – June 2020)
- Four-extremity venous duplex ultrasound for suspected deep venous thrombosis is an anachronism. T Yoo, R Aggarwal, S Brathwaite, B Satiani, MJ Haurani. Journal of Vascular Surgery: Venous and Lymphatic Disorders 7 (3), 325-332. e1
- Brahmandam A, Skrip L, Sumpio B, Indes J, Dardik A, Sarac T, Rectenwald J, Chaar CIO. A survey of vascular specialists' practice patterns of inferior vena cava filter placement and retrieval. Vascular. 2019 Jun;27(3):291-298.
- Aurshina A, Brahmandam A, Zhang Y, Yang Y, Mojibian H, Sarac T, Ochoa Chaar CI. Patient perspectives on inferior vena cava filter retrieval. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2019 Jul;7(4):507-513.
- Patient information sources when facing repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. Anderson PB< Wanken ZJ, Perri JL, Columbo JA, Kang R, Spangler EL, Newhall K, Brooke BS, Dosluoglu H, Lee ES, Raffetto JD, Henke PK, Tang GL, Mureebe L, Kougias P, Johanning J, Arya S, Scali ST, Stone DH, Suckow BD, Orion K, Halpern V, O’Connell J, Inhat D, Nelson P, Tzeng E, Zhou W, Barry M, Sirovich B, Goodney PP; PROVE-AAA Study Team. J Vasc Surg. 2019 Jul 25
- Physician Reimbursement for Vascular Surgery Procedures and Vascular Laboratory Studies Before and After the Affordable Care Act. D Chou, MJ Haurani, PS Vaccaro, TP Sarac, B Satiani. Journal of Vascular Surgery 70 (3), e65-e66
- Woelfel I, Go M, Sarac T, Vaccaro P. Approaches to the Salvage of Axillary Bilateral Femoral Bypass in Patients with Claudication due to Demand Ischemia. Accepted by Annals of Vascular Surgery; Sept., 2019.
- Safety and efficacy of venous ablation in octogenarians. Aurshina A, Zhang Y, Zhuo H, Cardella J, Orion K, Sumpio B, Sarac T, Ochoa Chaar CI. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2019 Sep;7(5):685-692.
- de Mik SML, Stubenrouch FE, Legemate DA, Balm R, Ubbink DT; DISCOVAR Study Group. Delphi Study to Reach International Consensus Among Vascular Surgeons on Major Arterial Vascular Surgical Complications. World J Surg. 2019 Sep;43(9):2328-2336.
- Jorshery SD, Luo J, Zhang Y, Sarac T, Ochoa Chaar CI. Hybrid surgery for bilateral lower extremity inflow revascularization. J Vasc Surg. 2019 Sep;70(3):768-775.
- Brahmandam A, Skrip L, Mojibian H, Aruny J, Sumpio B, Dardik A, Sarac T, Ochoa Chaar CI. Costs and complications of endovascular inferior vena cava filter retrieval. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2019 Sep;7(5):653-659.
- Vetter MH, Salani R, Williams TE, Ellison EC, Satiani B. The Impact of Burnout on the Obstetrics and Gynecology Workforce. Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2019 September. Volume 62, Number 3. Eds: Fowler JM, Gabbe SG
- Satiani B. Up and out. Vascular Specialist. 15 (10) October 2019; pages 10 & 11. https://mdedge-files-live.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/files/s3fs-public/vas_oct19_lores._digitalpdf.pdf.
- Practice patterns of dual antiplatelet therapy after lower extremity endovascular interventions.
- McQuinn CW, Go MR. Pelvic congestion syndrome. Current Vascular Surgery: Northwestern Vascular Symposium. Northfield, IL: Amika. 2019.
- Prats M, Bahner DP, Boulger CT, Go MR. Deep venous thrombosis and venous thromboembolism. Emergency and Clinical Ultrasound Board Review. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press. 2019
- Rajaee S, Holder T, Indes JE, Muhs B, Sarac T, Toll BA, Chaar CI. A Pilot study of a standardized smoking cessation intervention for patients with vascular disease, Ann Vsc Surg 2019;S0890-5096
- Chou D, GO MR, Starr JE, Satiani B. A Roadmap for Noninvasive Vascular Laboratory Education. Journal for Vascular Ultrasound 2020, Vol. 44(1) 21 –24
- Chou D, Starr JE, Go Michael, Satiani B. Variability in noninvasive vascular laboratory experience of vascular surgery training programs based on survey of trainees suggests need for standardized curriculum. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 2019. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avsg.2019.05.032.
- Orion K. Vasc Med 2019 Dec;(6):528-535.
- Addition of Efficiency Measures to Current Accuracy Measures in the Vascular Lab Can Be Used For Future Accreditation and Payment Models. MJ Haurani, D Kiser, PS Vaccaro, B Satiani. Annals of Vascular Surgery.
- Satiani B. Which one are you: Giver, sharer, taker or matcher? February 21st, 2020. https://vascularspecialistonline.com/givers-and-takers/
- Chou TH, Atway SA, Bobbey AJ, Sarac TP, Go MR, Stacy MR. SPECT/CT imaging: a non-invasive method for evaluating serial changes in angiosome foot perfusion in critical limb ischemia. Advances in Wound Care. 2020 Mar; 9: 103-10. doi: 10.1089/wound.2018.0924.
- Satiani B, Way DP. Of moral distress, coronavirus and implications for burnout. April 2020.https://vascularspecialistonline.com/vascular-specialist-february-2020/
- Satiani B, Zigrang BA, Bailey-Wheaton JL. COVID-19 Financial Resources for Physicians. Journal of Vascular Surgery. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2020.04.482
- Satiani B, Zigrang TA, Bailey-Wheaton Jl. “Proposed new Stark Law regulations a small step in the right direction to decrease regulatory burden on physicians.” Physician Leadership Journal. On line https://www.physicianleaders.org/news/proposed-stark-regulations-small-step-forward
- Diaz-Starokozheva L, Das D, Gu X, Moore J, Valerio I, Powell H, Higuita-Castro N, Go MR, Palmer AF, Gallego-Perez D. Early intervention on ischemic tissue with oxygen nanocarriers enables successful implementation of restorative cell therapies. Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering.
- Jones B, Tonniges JR, Debski A, Albert B, Yeung DA, Gadde N, Mahajan A, Sharma N, Calomeni EP, Go MR, Hans CP, Agarwal G. Collagen fibril abnormalities in human and mice abdominal aortic aneurysm. Acta Biomaterialia.
Posters & Presentations
- Sarac TP. Cerebrovascular disease and complex vasculopaths. VAST3, Saratoga Springs, NY, August 2019.
- Fraser SR, Go MR, Chou D, El-Sayed HF. Wound bed sterilization with antibiotic beads and serial debridement followed by flap closure is a viable alternative to infected prosthetic vascular graft removal. Poster Presentation, Midwestern Vascular Surgical Society, Chicago, IL, 2019 Sept.
- Sarac TP. Open AAA repair is not dead: How I do it. International Aortic Summit, Aruba, Oct 2019
- Sarac TP. Endovascular Aortic Graft Infections: Strategies and Solutions International Aortic Summitt, Aruba, Oct 2019.
- Sarac TP. “Update on TAA Transection”. West Virginia 29th Annual Vascular Symposium, White Sulpher Springs, WV, Oct 2019.
- Sarac TP. “Spinal cord protection for open and endovascular thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair.” West Virginia 29th Annual Vascular Symposium, White Sulpher Springs, WV, Oct 2019.
- Go MR, Oslock WM, Santry HP, Way DP, Baselice HE, Tamer RM, Kent KC, Williams TE, Satiani B. A contemporary reassessment of the vascular surgery workforce predicts a shortage in available services for the next 20 years. Plenary Scientific Session, Midwestern Vascular Surgical Society, Chicago, IL, 2019 Sept.
- Go MR. Peripheral arterial disease and the Comprehensive Wound Center Limb Preservation Program. Primary One Provider Meeting, Columbus, OH, 2019 Oct.
- Sarac TP. “Are interventional cardiologists competing with vascular surgeons: TWhat are their advanatgages and disadvantages”. Veith Symposium, New York, N.Y, 2019.
- Sarac TP. “Open surgery has a role in treating mesenteric aneurysms”. Veith Symposium, New York, N.Y, 2019.
- Sarac TP. “Endovascular vs open treatment of visceral artery aneurysms: when is each treatment best” Veith Symposium, New York, N.Y, 2019.
- “Form and function of aortic centers of excellence.” The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center 12th Annual Vascular Non-Invasive Testing Symposium; Columbus, Ohio; November 8, 2019. Vaccaro P.
- Invited Speaker, “My Life as a Surgeon,” Honors and Scholars Program, The Ohio State University, November 19, 2019. Vaccaro P.
- Go MR. Dialysis access aneurysm management? All About the Aorta and Arterial Disease, Columbus, OH, 2019 Nov.
- Sarac TP. “Update on Endovascular Treatment of Acute Thoracic Aorta Transection.” Ohio State 12th Annual Vascular Symposium, Columbus, Ohio, Nov 2019.
- Sarac TP. “Visceral Artery Aneurysms”. Ohio State 12th Annual Vascular Symposium, Columbus, Ohio, Nov 2019.
- CCTS Voucher Award for Research Informatics Services. The effect of antiretroviral HIV therapy and peripheral vascular disease. OSU 2019. Orion K.
- Go MR. Understanding how to diagnose and treat pelvic venous insufficiency. Northwestern Vascular Symposium, Chicago, IL, 2019 Dec.
- “Spinal Cord Ischemia Associated with Complex Aortic Repair,” The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Division of Vascular Diseases and Surgery, Vascular Grand Rounds, January 27, 2020. Vaccaro P.
- Rizzo AN, Go MR. Contemporary bacteriology and outcomes of graft excision with or without extra-anatomic bypass for aortic graft infection. Poster Presentation, OHIO Dublin Research Day, Dublin, OH, 2020 Feb.
List of Accomplishments in Clinical Care (July 2019 – June 2020)
- Dr. Haurani Went to training for TCAR and Percutaneous AVF.
- Drs. Go, Starr, and Vaccaro featured in Columbus Monthly September 2019 “Top Doctors” by Castle Connolly Top Doctors! Nominated by their colleagues, they were chosen based on not only their excellent training and clinical skills, but also because of the time, care and concern they give to their patients.
List of Educational Programs
- Successfully graduated 33 vascular surgery fellows that are currently practicing in the United States and international communities.
- Started an integrated residency program, and welcomed our first resident in 2020.
Name Current Practice 1987 - 1988
Alan J. Annenberg, MD
Cardiac, Vascular & Thoracic Surgeons
1988 - 1989
William R. Finkelmeier, MD
Cardiothoracic Surgeons & Vascular Specialist
1989 - 1990
Edward E. Rigdon, MD
Private Solo Practice
1989 - 1991
Douglas W. Massop, MD
Iowa Clinic Cardiovascular Services
1990 - 1992
Matthew L. Lukens, MD
Heartland Vascular Surgeons
1991 - 1993
John D. Horowitz, MD
Surgical Specialist Central Florida
1992 - 1994
J. Chadwick Tober, MD
Memorial Surgical Specialist
1993 - 1995
Deepak Gupta, MD
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
1995 - 1996
George Geroulakos, MD, FRCS
Charing Cross Hospital
1996 - 1997
David S. Landau, MD
University of Illinois Hospital
1997 - 1998
Stavros Kalliafas, MD
Private Solo Practice
1998 - 1999
Norman Kumins, MD
UH Ahuja Medical Center
1999 - 2000
Randy J. Irwin, MD
Cardiothoracic Surgeons & Vascular Specialist
2000 - 2001
Dawn M. Salvatore, MD
Jefferson University Hospitals
2001 - 2002
Bart A. Chess, MD
Gerald McGinnis Cardiovascular Service Center
2002 - 2003
Deepak Guttikonda, MD
Community Heart and Vascular
2003 - 2004
David J. Finlay, MD
Vascular and Hand Surgery Ltd
2004 - 2005
John S. Foor, MD
Mt. Carmel Vascular Services
2005 - 2006
Kenneth J. Wright, MD
Vascular Institute of Tampa Bay
2006 - 2007
Nnamdi Azie, MD
Ohio Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgeons
2006 - 2008
Gregory W. Walker, DO
Clark, Kasper, Walker Vascular Surgery
2007 - 2009
Richard R. Fries, MD
Cardiac, Vascular & Thoracic Surgeons, Inc.
2008 - 2010
Siddharth K. Bhende, MD
Sentra Vascular Specialists
2009 - 2011
Maria Litzendorf, MD
University of Maryland, Charles Regional Medical Center
2010 - 2012
Joseph Habib, MD
University of Jacksonville - Florida
2011 - 2013
Axel Thors, DO
University of Kansas Medical Center
2012 - 2014
Nicolas Mouawad, MD
Michigan Medical Center/Bay Heart & Vascular
2013 - 2015
Loren Masterson, MD
Akron General Hospital
2014 - 2016
Babatunde Oriowo, MD
Jobst Institute, Toledo Hospital
2015 - 2017
Suzanne Kool, MD
MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
2016 - 2018
Ghaleb Darwazeh, MD
Saint Agnes Hospital
2017 - 2019
Daisy Chou, MD
John Peter Smith Hospital
2018 - 2020
Jennifer Baker, MD
Michigan Vascular Center
- MJ Haurani: SCORE Curriculum, Vascular Surgery – Varicose Veins
- Mouawad NJ, Bailey-Wheaton J, Zigrang TJ, Satiani B. Joint Ventures in Office-Based Endovascular Centers. In “Office-Based Endovascular Centers”. Ed: K Jain.
- Go M, Vaccaro P. Controversies in venous thoracic outlet syndrome: timing of first rib resection after thrombolysis. Accepted for text Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, Illig et al.,2019
- Kim TI and Orion KC. Advanced Surgical Techniques. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome 2nd Edition. Accepted for publication. Springer 2019
- Kim TI and Orion KC. V-SCORE Curriculum: Thoracoabdominal Aneurysm Repair Open and Endovascular module. 2019
- Sarac TP. Steps in Device and Drug Pathway Development: Clinical Trials, Similarities and Differences. In Pawlik T editor. Succress in Academic Surgery, Springer Verlag, 2020 (in press).
- Sarac TP. Alogorthym on Management of Splanchnic Artery Aneurysms. In Farber A, Eslami M and Cronenwett J. Clinical Pathways in Vascular Surgery Springer Verlag 2020 (in press).