Every resident and fellow of The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Department of Surgery brings distinct talents and abilities to our team and also has specific professional and personal goals that we strive to support through a customizable training path.
Our broad range of education options allow all trainees to craft a personal experience that supports the career they envision.
To learn more, visit medicine.osu.edu/departments/surgery/education.
Developing confident, independent surgeons
- Clinical Skills Education and Assessment Center
- State-of-the-art, high-fidelity simulation labs, including open, laparoscopic and task trainers
- Video teleconferencing capabilities where surgeries happening anywhere in the world provide trainees a bird’s-eye view of the surgery on one screen and from inside the patient on another, all while speaking with the physicians performing the procedure
- Formal assessments and mentorship meetings
- Live case experience, with PGY2 residents averaging 400 cases
- Novel alcohol-based soft tissue preservation extends reuse of donated bodies and significantly improves the ability to mimic living tissue
OR Coaching program
- Residents receive feedback from senior surgeons, in addition to the attending for the case
- Includes procedure-specific suggestions, as well as constructive comments related to technique and OR management, including small procedural changes or potentially negative habits that can be corrected before becoming ingrained
- Observation and evaluation completed for 12 cases (three each for lap chole, inguinal hernia, ventral hernia and lap colectomy)
- Based on program success and resident interest, three new OR coaches were added to the team
- To learn more, visit medicine.osu.edu/departments/surgery/education/residency/or-coaching-project.
Upgraded robotic curriculum
- Leads to a da Vinci® Equivalency Certificate
- Begins with a series of dry labs, followed by case-specific pig labs, including high-volume procedures such as colectomy, gastrectomy and pancreatectomy
- Additional simulation training available during each individual surgical rotations
- To learn more, visit medinicine.osu.edu/departments/surgery/news/ohio-state-unveils-upgraded-robotic-surgery-curriculum.
Lead, Engage, Accelerate, Drive in Surgery (LEAD)
- This leadership elective is available to PGY 2-5 general surgery and lab residents
- The one-year course teaches effective leadership skills, which we believe is crucial for a successful surgical career
- Small class size of 15 or fewer promotes discussion and input from varied perspectives
- To learn more, visit medicine.osu.edu/departments/surgery/education/residency/lead.
Exposure to varied surgical settings
- University Hospital
- The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center – Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute
- Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital
- Ohio State East Hospital
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- Outpatient surgery centers across central Ohio
If you want to learn more about our education options and how they can be customized to each trainee’s interests, please contact our education team members:
- Brittany Williams – General Surgery Residency Program Manager
- Anna Patterson – Program Manager, Research Education
- Lori Bardon – Program Manager, Divisions of General and Gastrointestinal Surgery, Colon and Rectal Surgery, and Trauma, Critical Care and Burn
- Kaitlen Knight – Program Manager, Divisions of Cardiac Surgery and Vascular Diseases and Surgery
- Xiaodong (Phoenix) Chen, PhD, MSc, BEng – Senior Director of Education Science
Personal career development
All residents complete a minimum one-year research experience or a specialty fellowship during their residency, unless otherwise exempted.
Subspecialty surgical fellowships
- Advanced therapeutic endoscopy and gastrointestinal surgery
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Surgical critical care
- Abdominal transplant surgery
- Pediatric surgery
- Pediatric surgical critical care
- Surgical oncology
- Vascular surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Bariatrics surgery
Research Training Program
- This includes a mentored research project in any area of interest and completion of an advanced degree such as:
- Master of Medical Science, with a track in translational, clinical, health services and medical education research
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Business Administration
- An alternate Master of Science degree, such as a Master of Science in Anatomy
- To learn more, visit medicine.osu.edu/departments/surgery/education/residency/rtp.
Expanded Residency Wellness Program
Ohio State Department of Surgery expands residency wellness program
Wellness took on added importance during COVID-19, and the Ohio State Wexner Medical Center Department of Surgery was able to expand its existing residency wellness program thanks to the Robert Zollinger Surgical Society. This longstanding alumni group was reinvigorated to emphasize the physical, mental, social and professional wellness that is especially important during the often stressful years of residency. Themed events, developed with guidance from the residency wellness committee assistance, helped our trainees establish unity and maintain a supportive environment.
Our two newest integrated residency programs
Cardiothoracic Surgery Integrated Residency
- Six-year integrated program to prepare for specialization in cardiothoracic surgery in both academic and community settings
- Rotation on both general and cardiothoracic services at the Ohio State Wexner Medical Center, and complete rotations on the congenital heart service at Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- To learn more, visit medicine.osu.edu/departments/surgery/cardiac/education/cardiothoracic-surgery-integrated-residency.
Vascular Surgery Residency
- One of the few integrated vascular surgery residency programs in the nation
- Five-year program develops competency in the surgical treatment of patients with complicated vascular conditions and prepares trainees to serve in both academic and clinical care settings
- To learn more, visit medicine.osu.edu/departments/surgery/vascular/education/vascular-integrated-residency.