This one-year program is designed to orient all new faculty to the OSU College of Medicine faculty (NOTE: you do not have to be new to medicine, just to OSU medicine). Not to be confused with The Ohio State University Faculty Orientation or various hospital orientation programs, this monthly meeting will provide new faculty with tips and facts to navigate academic medicine and thrive in your faculty roles at the College of Medicine.
The New Faculty Academy is one of the critical components of the College of Medicine’s Center for Faculty Advancement, Mentoring and Engagement (FAME), which provides comprehensive guidance, education, programmatic support, and recognition and reward to all members of the faculty as they pursue diverse domains of career emphasis and excellence. This program equips faculty for success in academic medicine careers here at Ohio State’s College of Medicine.
For more information about cohort membership, topics, dates and other New Faculty Academy information please read the participant document (external link)
Over a 12-month period, participants will engage in monthly, 1-hour workshops. The sessions will be delivered in person (or through Zoom depending on updated COVID-University guidelines).
Sessions will be held from 4-5 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month (except for July), on the main med center campus. (Jan 3, Feb 7, Mar 7, Apr 4, May 2, Jun 6, Jul 11, Aug 1, Sept 5, Oct 3, Nov 7, Dec 5, 2023).
While the session topics are listed below, the order may vary.
- Main Kick off / Meet our Leaders
- FAME / Faculty Affairs / Resources
- Managing yourself
- Working successfully in a diverse environment
- Tools for clinical teaching – or – Resources for lab management
- If I knew then what I know now
- Promotion and tenure in the College of Medicine
- Building your reputation as a basic or clinical scientist
- Professionalism / how to report a problem
- How to manage a team
- Guidelines for social media & consulting
- Mentoring / coaching / sponsoring
How to Enroll
The enrollment window is now open, faculty are welcome to enroll until November 30, 2022.