diverse and sought-after health professionals in the world
College of Medicine
Ohio State College of Medicine is ranked 30th by U.S. News & World Report and 11th among public medical schools in its 2020 America’s “Best Graduate Schools” list. The college received 7,787 applications for its 2019 entering medical class of 209 students.
The college’s innovative Lead.Serve.Inspire. curriculum places students in clinical settings from the start of their first year. It fully integrates foundational and clinical science to prepare students for the future of medicine. We are one of the few colleges in the world to offer five dual medical degrees: MD/PhD, MD/MBA, MD/JD, MD/MHA and MD/MPH.
The School of Health and RehabilitationNationally recognized as a leader in training individuals for careers in the allied health professions, the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences offers seven accredited baccalaureate degree programs: Athletic Training, Health Information Management and Systems, Health Sciences, Medical Dietetics, Medical Laboratory Science, Radiologic Sciences and Therapy and Respiratory Therapy as well as accredited nationally ranked doctorate-level programs in Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy, a Master of Science in Allied Medicine and a PhD in Health and Rehabilitation Sciences. The school has more than 1,700 students.
Visit the HRS website
Graduate and Residency ProgramsMore than 60 accredited graduate and residency programs train more than 800 residents and fellows each year. In addition, users in approximately 150 countries have access to Ohio State’s web-based continuing medical education training programs each year.
The Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME®) has given its highest award status to our Center for Continuing Medical Education, reflecting compliance with ACCME’s commendation criteria. The new accreditation runs until March 31, 2024.
Seven Health Sciences CollegesOne of the most comprehensive health sciences campuses in America – with colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Optometry, Public Health and Veterinary Medicine in close proximity – is adjacent to the tremendous resources and expertise of The Ohio State University campus in Columbus. This proximity fosters collaborations with other university departments, which gives Ohio State tremendous potential to promote scientific partnerships and translate research discoveries into medical therapies and technologies.
Such efforts have resulted in the Mathematical Biosciences Institute and multiple research labs and centers in the Department of Biomedical Engineering. Dual degree programs such as MD/MBA, MD/JD and MD/PhD have been developed with the Michael E. Moritz College of Law, the Max M. Fisher College of Business and the College of Public Health.
translation into breakthrough healthcare solutions
- One of only 51 members of a National Institutes of Health consortium that speeds the translation of scientific discovery into better patient care.
- One of only 49 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers in the United States; the NCI rated our center “exceptional” – the NCI’s highest ranking.
- More than 2,000 active research studies and clinical trials in virtually every medical specialty.
- Four faculty members currently elected to the National Academy of Medicine and two to the National Academy of Sciences.
- The 2018 Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research Rankings, a compilation of NIH funding rankings for U.S. medical schools, placed four of our programs in the top 20 and one of our programs in the top 10 nationwide.
Our Research Centers and InstitutesThe medical center has more than 20 research centers and institutes, along with 25 core research laboratories that promote collaboration among experts from virtually all departments, divisions and brand campuses of The Ohio State University. Some of our most recognized research centers are:
- Dorothy M. Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute
- The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research
- Nisonger Center
- Center for RNA Biology
- Center for Microbial Interface Biology
- Center for Clinical and Translational Science
Opportunities for research partnerships in Columbus
SciTech (Science and Technology Campus Corporation)
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS)
IBM Client Center for Advanced Analytics
The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital
Online Computer Library Center, Inc. (OCLC)
Ohio Third Frontier
authority for both the academic and health sciences organizations
Board of TrusteesThe Ohio State University Board of Trustees has full fiduciary authority for both the academic and health sciences organizations. The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Board is the governing body responsible to the University Board of Trustees for operation, oversight and coordination of the health sciences entities.
The Wexner Medical Center Board is responsible for the development and strategic allocation of resources, planning and delivery of medical services and other related powers and duties, and is subject to the ultimate authority of the University Board of Trustees.
Up to five members of The Ohio State University Board of Trustees appointed annually by the chair of the University Board of Trustees and ratified by the University Board of Trustees.
- Up to six public members appointed by the chair of The Ohio State University Board of Trustees in consultation with the university president and the chair of the University Board of Trustees Governance Committee and ratified by the University Board of Trustees.
- Four ex-officio voting members consisting of the chair of The Ohio State University Board of Trustees, the university president, the university chief financial officer and the executive vice president for Health Sciences.
- The Wexner Medical Center Board also includes these ex-officio nonvoting members:
- The dean of the College of Medicine
- The chief executive officer of the Faculty Group Practice
- The chief executive officer of The Ohio State University Health System
- The chief executive officer(s) or executive director(s) of all Ohio State Wexner Medical Center hospitals
Learn more about the Wexner Medical Center’s 2017-2024 Strategic Plan