The Department of Family and Community Medicine created the Committee for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in 2020 to promote a working environment where differences are celebrated and encouraged, and all feel valued. The group is open every member of the department and is dedicated to meeting our mission and goals in the areas of clinical and patient care, education and research.
Our mission is to cultivate and advocate for a diverse and inclusive culture within the Department of Family and Community Medicine. We strive to create equity in experience, learning and care for all by ensuring that everyone is equally valued, respected and invested through efforts in outreach, clinical services, research, teaching/education and talent and culture.
- Advocate for diversity, equity and inclusion for individuals within the Department of Family and Community Medicine, effectively optimizing the best care for our patients
- Provide education that defines diversity, equity and inclusion by normalizing the conversation about proper tools to ensure equal representation of our community in the department and patient population
- Identify and address current gaps in equity and inclusion in our department to focus resolutions through utilization of and building upon current resources
- Partner with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, the Chief Diversity Officer, the Anti-Racism Action Plan and Women in Medicine and Science through The Ohio State University, College of Medicine and Wexner Medical Center and highlight opportunities for education and engagement with the Department of Family and Community Medicine
- Intentionally support underrepresented and minoritized individuals in our department by sharing advancement opportunities, offering mentorship, encouraging participation and empowering them to become involved in decision making at all levels within the department, including in the realms of clinical, education, research and executive leadership.
- Support a structure within the department to easily access tools and curriculum which recognize and address social determinants of health in order to provide equitable care to all our patients
- Diversity – The acceptance and respect along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, age and physical or mental abilities
- Equity – The recognition that we must address systemic biases and barriers to allow everyone the opportunity to reach their full potential
- Inclusion – Respect for and appreciation of people regardless of their background and promotion of an environment that encourages full participation of all groups
- Accountability – Continuous assessment and evaluation to ensure progress is being made to the program’s commitment towards diversity and inclusion
The Department of Family and Community Medicine provides many services that align with our DEI mission, including:
- Transgender Primary Care Clinic
- Refugee and Immigration Health Clinic
- Programs to address food insecurity, such as the Mid-Ohio Farmacy Program
- Community Care Coach
- Free community clinics:
- And more!
Check out our Department’s main page for more information about our department and how to become part of The Ohio State University. We also connect with and actively support our Family Medicine residency program and its Committee for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.