Description and Mission
MD Camp students will also have the opportunity to shadow clinicians and researchers at the Ohio State University Medical Center and at Children’s Hospital. By the end of MD camp, students will have a greater grasp of what a career in medicine is like and how to go about becoming a successful physician.
MD Camp, sponsored by the Area Health Education Center is an intensive, three-week summer day camp providing participants an experience in the rigors of medical school. It is open to rising Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors who are interested in pursuing careers in the health professions, including biomedical research. We typically accept students who are considered traditionally underrepresented in medicine, and traditionally underserved which can include women and individuals from socio-economic and/or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds.
Ultimately, MD Camp aims at increasing the number of physicians who are underrepresented in medicine and who elect to practice in underserved areas. Toward this end, the camp strives to inspire students to pursue a career in medicine by challenging them intellectually, facilitating their academic and social development, and increasing their awareness of the special needs of underserved populations.
Our curriculum includes the following pillars:
- Lecture Component: Medical school faculty will give lectures covering a diverse range of topics and pathologies, from head-and-neck anatomy to the physiological changes that lead to heart attack. Students will also hear lectures about issues that face the medical community every day, including ethics, and the health disparities in underserved populations in the United States.
- Problem-based Learning: Students will work out complex clinical cases in a group-discussion format.
- Research: Students will gain hours of research experience while participating in one of the many ongoing medical research projects at Ohio State or at Children’s Hospital. They will learn about the research process and some of the most important techniques used in research, such as PCR, Flow Cytometry, Western Blotting, etc. At the end of MD Camp, students will be given the opportunity to teach what they had learned to their fellow classmates as part of a poster or PowerPoint presentation.
- Community Project: Students will give back to their community by spending an afternoon participating in a community service project.
- Clinical Workshops: Students will learn and practice common procedures in medicine, such as phlebotomy, suturing, intubation, taking a basic history of a patient, use of the stethoscope, and much more.
- Clinical Shadowing: Students will shadow physicians in a hospital setting in different specialties, such as pediatrics, internal medicine, family medicine, etc. Students will observe rounds, discuss cases, and get a feeling for what an average day is like for a physician. Students will also be able to watch a live surgery through a video conference setting, where the surgeon will give insights during the surgery to the students while operating.
- Clinical Skills Assessment: Students will learn how to diagnose and treat a select number of common clinical pathologies. In the finale of the clinical component of the curriculum, students will be presented with a common clinical scenario. They will use their knowledge gained from lectures, shadowing and clinical workshops to assess and treat standardized patients presenting one of these pathologies.
- Guest Speakers: Selected physicians, health care workers, and other speakers will be brought in to discuss a wide range of topics and to interact with MD Camp students. From these speakers, students will acquire a greater depth of understanding and appreciation of what the pursuit of medicine will entail.
To be competitive, it is recommended that a student have a cumulative grade point average at least a 3.0 and a math and science GPA of 3.3 or higher.
Early applicants will be given priority consideration for scholarships.
Please contact us at email@example.com with any other questions.
Follow our Instagram: @mdcamp