700 Ackerman Road
Columbus, Ohio 43202
I received my PhD in global health management and policy from the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, my MPH in health management and policy from the Drexel Dornsife School of Public Health, and my BA from Reed College.
Research, Education and Clinical Interests
My research focuses on a wide range of health services research topics, but it is particularly attentive to the issues of organizational change for primary care and health systems. In this context, my work examines and facilitates collaborative relationships across healthcare sectors to support population health and advance health equity. I approach these topics using theories that draw from organizational science, dissemination and implementation science, and health behavior. Using both quantitative and qualitative methods, I aim to produce practice oriented conclusions that can benefit healthcare delivery and cross-sector partnerships between healthcare and community-based organizations.
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases/National Institutes of Health, R01
Walker DM; Joseph JJ (MPI), 04/01/2022-03/31/2027
Linking education, produce provision, and community referrals to improve diabetes care (LINK)
Competitive Grant: $3,326,977
National Institute of Drug Abuse/National Institutes of Health, UM1
Freisthler B; Winhusen J (MPI) 04/01/2019–03/31/2025
Optimizing Healing in Ohio Communities
Cooperative Agreement: $65,900,000. Role: Co-investigator (Qualitative Sub-Group Lead)
National Institute on Aging/National Institutes of Health, UM1
Hefner JH (PI) 09/01/2018-08/31/2024
Total Engagement and Activation Measure (TEAM): Developing a Measure of the Capacity for Patients to Engage in their Health Care.
Competitive Grant: $3,037,502. Role: Co-investigator
National Institute of Mental Health/National Institutes of Health, P50
Bridge J, Fontanella C (MPI), 08/01/2022-07/31/2027
Center for Accelerating Suicide Prevention in Real-world Settings (ASPIRES)
Competitive Grant: $3,884,371; Role: Co-Investigator (Methods Core)
Ohio Department of Medicaid/Government Resource Center
Fareed N, Huerta T, Walker DM (MPI), 07/01/2019-06/30/2024
The Ohio Equity Institute Evaluation (OEI).
Competitive Contract: $1,500,000
Education and Training
BA: Biology, Reed College, 2007
MPH: Health management and policy, Drexel Dornsife School of Public Health, 2011
PhD: Global health management and policy, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, 2015
Dissertation: Hospital efficiency changes from health information exchange participation
Post-doctoral researcher: Department of Family and Community Medicine at The Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Walker DM, Tarver WL, Jonnalagadda P, Ranbom L, Ford EW, Rahurkar S. Perspectives on challenges and opportunities for interoperability: findings from key informant interviews with stakeholders in Ohio. JMIR Medical Informatics. 2023. 11: e43848. DOI: 10.2196/43848.
- Joseph JJ, Gray DM, Williams A, Zhao S, McKoy A, Odei JB, Brock G, Lavender D, Walker DM, Nawaz S, Baker C, Hoseus J, Price T, Gregory J, Nolan TS. Addressing Non-Medical Health-Related Social Needs Through a Community-Based Lifestyle Intervention: The Black Impact Program. PLOS One. 2023. 18(3): e0282103. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0282103.
- Reopell L, Nolan T, Gray D, Williams A, Brewer L, Bryan AL, Wilson G, Williams E, Jones C, McKoy A, Grever J, Soliman A, Baez J, Nawaz S, Walker DM, Metlock F, Zappe L, Gregory J, Joseph JJ. Community engagement and clinical trials diversity: Navigating barriers and co-designing solutions – a report from the “Health Equity through Diversity” seminar series. PLOS One. PLOS One. 2023. 18(2): e0281940. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0281940.
- Southerland LT, Presley CJ, Hunold KM, Caterino J, Collins CE, Walker DM. Electronic Health Record Barriers to the Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s 4-Ms Care Model in Clinical Practice. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2022. DOI: 10.1111/jgs.18156.
- Venkatesh K, Joseph J, Clark A, Gabbe S, Landon M, Thung S, Yee L, Lynch C, Grobman W, Walker DM. Association of Community-level Food Insecurity and Glycemic Control among Pregnant Individuals with Pregestational Diabetes. Primary Care Diabetes. 2022. DOI: 10.1016/j.pcd.2022.11.002.
- Attipoe S, Hefner J, Walker DM, Schweikhart S. A qualitative study of pediatricians’ electronic health record work outside work hours. Health Care Management Review. 2022. 48(2): 140-149. DOI: 10.1097/HMR.0000000000000361.
- Walker DM, Hoffman S, Adler-Milstein JR. Interoperability in a Post-Roe Era: Sustaining Progress while Protecting Reproductive Health Information. JAMA. 2022. 328(17):1703-1704. DOI:10.1001/jama.2022.17204.
- Walker DM, Shiu-Yee K, Chen S, DePuccio M, Jackson RD, McAlearney AS. Community Coalitions’ Perspectives on Engaging with Hospitals in Ohio to Address the Opioid Crisis. Population Health Management. 2022. DOI: 10.1089/pop.2022.0174.
- Walker DM, Swoboda CM, Shiu-Yee K, Tarver WL, Nolan TS, Joseph JJ. Diversity of Participation in Clinical Trials and Influencing Factors: Findings from the Health Information National Trends Survey 2020. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2022. DOI: 10.1007/s11606-022-07780-2.
- McAlearney AS, Walker DM, Sieck C, Fareed N, Hefner J, MacEwan SR, DiTosto G, Gaughan A, Sova L, Rush L, Rizer M, Moffatt-Bruce SD, Huerta TR. Effectiveness of in-person vs video training and access to all functions vs a limited subset of functions on Portal Use among Inpatients. 2022. 5(9): e2231321. DOI: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.31321.
- DePuccio MJ, Walker DM. (2022). Food-for-All: how can a pilot project lead to a sustainable population health improvement program? In A.S. McAlearney & A.R. Kovner (Eds.), Health Services Management: A Case Study Approach. 12th ed. Health Administration Press.
- Walker DM, Mora AM. 2016. “Quality of care in accountable care organizations.” In: McAlearney, AS, Kovner AR, Eds. 2016. Health services management: Readings, cases, and commentary. 11th Edition. Health Administration Press: Chicago, IL.
- Walker DM. 2016. “Privacy issues due to Electronic Health Records.” In: McAlearney, AS, Kovner AR, Eds. 2016. Health services management: Readings, cases, and commentary. 11th Edition. Health Administration Press: Chicago, IL.
- Editorial board member at Medical Care Research and Review
- Associate editor at BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making
- Guest Editor, American Journal of Managed Care, 10th Annual Special Health Information Technology Issue 2020
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Reviewer Award 2022 – Academy of Management, Health Care Management Division
- Outstanding Reviewer Award 2021 – Academy of Management, Health Care Management Division
- Outstanding Reviewer Commendation 2020 – Annals of Internal Medicine
- Included in the 2018 AMIA Annual Symposium Year in Review of most important papers published during the year.
- Best Paper in “Consumer Health Informatics and Education” Section – 2018 Yearbook of the International Medical Informatics Association.
- Runner-Up for Best Paper in Health Care Management 2018 – Academy of Management, Health Care Management Division.
- Outstanding Reviewer Award 2016 – Academy of Management, Health Care Management Division
- Delta Omega Honor Society, Beta Omega (2011) and Eta chapter (2015)
- Best Paper Based on a Dissertation Award 2015, Academy of Management, Health Care Management Division
- Academy of Management (AOM), Health Care Management Division