Division of General Internal Medicine
Ohio State University College of Medicine
700 Ackerman Rd, Columbus, OH 43202
Dr. MacEwan received her PhD in biomedical engineering from Duke University and conducted postdoctoral research in molecular engineering at the University of Chicago. Her research as a biomedical engineer focused on the development of biomaterial systems for targeted cancer therapy and immunomodulation in autoimmunity. Before joining the Division of General Internal Medicine, Dr. MacEwan was a postdoctoral researcher in the Center for the Advancement of Team Science, Analytics, and Systems Thinking (CATALYST) in The Ohio State University College of Medicine.
Education and TrainingPostdoctoral Training in Health Services Research
Center for the Advancement of Team Science, Analytics, and Systems Thinking (CATALYST)
The Ohio State University – Columbus, Ohio
Postdoctoral Training in Molecular Engineering
University of Chicago – Chicago, Illinois
PhD in Biomedical Engineering
Duke University – Durham, North Carolina
BS in Biomedical Engineering
Case Western Reserve University – Cleveland, Ohio
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Gregory ME, MacEwan SR, Gaughan AA, Rush L, Powell JR, Kurth JD, Kenah E, Panchal AR, McAlearney AS. Closing the gap on COVID-19 vaccinations in first responders and beyond: Increasing trust. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2022;19(2):644.
- Fareed N, MacEwan SR, Vink S, Jonnalagadda P, McAlearney AS. Relationships between patient portal activation and patient satisfaction scores among CG-CAHPS and HCAHPS respondents. American Journal of Managed Care. 2022;28(1):25-31.
- MacEwan SR, Beal EW, Gaughan A, Sieck C, McAlearney AS. Perspectives of hospital leaders and staff on patient education for the prevention of healthcare-associated infections. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology. 2021; Epub ahead of print.
- MacEwan SR, Sieck CJ, McAlearney AS. “Geographic location impacts patient portal use by desktop and mobile devices.” Presented at the AMIA Clinical Informatics Conference. 2021: Virtual event.
- McAlearney AS, MacEwan SR, Gregory ME, Sova LN, Hebert C, Gaughan AA. Identifying management practices for promoting infection prevention: Perspectives on strategic communication. American Journal of Infection Control. 2021; Epub ahead of print.
- Gregory ME, Powell JR, MacEwan SR, Kurth JD, Kenah E, Panchal AR, McAlearney AS. COVID-19 vaccinations in EMS professionals: Prevalence and predictors. Prehospital Emergency Care. 2021; Epub ahead of print.
- MacEwan SR, Gaughan A, Hefner JL, McAlearney AS. Identifying the role of inpatient portals to support health literacy: Perspectives from patients and care team members. Patient Education and Counseling. 2021; 104(4):836-843.
- Fareed N, Jonnalagadda P, MacEwan SR, Di Tosto G, Scarborough S, Huerta TR, McAlearney AS. Differential effects of outpatient portal user status on inpatient portal use: Observational Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research. 2021;23(4):e23866.
- McAlearney AS, Hefner JL, MacEwan SR, Gaughan A, Walker DM, Hogan CT, Fareed N, Sieck CJ, Huerta TR. Care team perspectives about an inpatient portal: Benefits and challenges of patients' portal use during hospitalization. Medical Care Research and Review. 2021;78(5):537-547.
- McAlearney AS, Gaughan A, MacEwan SR, Fareed N, Huerta TR. Improving acceptance of inpatient portals: Patients’ and care team members’ perspectives. Telemedicine and e-Health. 2020;26(3):310-326.