EducationPediatric Vitreoretinal Surgery Fellowship: Kellog Eye Center – University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 2021
Vitreoretinal Surgery Fellowship: Cole Eye Institute – Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 2019 – present
Ophthalmology Residency: Vanderbilt Eye Institute, Nashville, TN 2016 – 2019
General Surgery Internship: University of Virginia Department of General Surgery, Charlottesville, VA University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 2015 – 2016
MD/PhD: University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 2006 – 2015
BS: Duke University, Durham, NC 2009 – 2014
In addition to seeing both adult and pediatric patients, Dr. Mendel also leads a translational laboratory investigating new treatments for inherited retinal diseases.
- Mendel TA, Cao JL, Rachitskaya AV. Scleral Windows for Choroidal Effusions. Retina Specialist – Surgical Pearls (accepted for publication 2020).
- Radetic M, Khan S, Mendel T, Venkat A, Phelan M. Tattoo granuloma with uveitis (TAGU) without sarcoidosis. American Journal of Emergency Medicine (accepted for print 2020).
- Mendel TA, Ehlers JP. “Birdshot Chorioretinopathy,” in OCT and OCT Angiography in Retinal Disorders, 1e. Wolters Kluwer. (in progress, anticipated 2020)
- Mendel TA, Ehlers JP. “Punctate Inner Chorioretinopathy,” in OCT and OCT Angiography in Retinal Disorders, 1e. Wolters Kluwer. (in progress, anticipated 2020)
- Mendel TA, Feng X, Chen Q, Joos K, Kammer J, Kuchtey R, Jonna G, Cherney E, Kim SJ. Prospective Retinal and Optic Nerve Vitrectomy Evaluation (PROVE) Study: Five-Year Findings (in progress, anticipated 2020).
- Mendel TA, Daniels AB. Animal Models in Retinoblastoma Research. Chapter in Clinical Ophthalmic Oncology, pp.79-97, available at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332602630_Animal_Models_in_Retinoblastoma_Research. (2019)
- Flowers A, de Castro-Abeger A, Mendel TA, Barnett JM, Wayman, LL. MD Review of “OCT analysis of phacoemulsification incisions: could tighter incisions delay recovery? A prospective randomized trial of 2.2 mm versus 2.85 mm incisions. EyeWorld. 2018. Available at: https://www.eyeworld.org/review-oct-analysis-phacoemulsification-incisions-could-tighterincisions-delay-recovery-prospective
- Jonna G, Thompson IA, Mendel TA, Kim SJ. Five-Year Functional Outcomes after Epiretinal Membrane Surgery: A Prospective, Controlled Study. Retina 00:1–6, (2018).
- Mendel TA, Fleischman D, Allingham R, Tseng H, Chesnutt D. Spectrum and Clinical Course of Visual Field Abnormalities in Ethambutol Toxicity. Neuro-Ophthalmology. Vol 40, Issue 3, (2016).
- Cronk SM, Mendel TA, Hoehn KL, Ray HC, Walpole JB, Bruce AC, Guendel AM, Herman IM, Yates PA, Peirce SM. Adiposederived stem cells from diabetic mice show impaired vascular stabilization in a murine model of diabetic retinopathy. Stem Cells Translational Medicine. 4(5):459-67, (2015).
- Mendel TA, Reddy AK, Choudhry N, Hau VS. Injection Infection (Candida Endophthalmitis Case Report). American Society of Retina Specialists. (May 2014). Available at https://www.asrs.org/education/spotlight-case/28/injection-infection.
- Mendel TA, Reddy AK, Choudhry N, Hau VS. Why a Genetic Test Is Sometimes Worth a Shot (Birdshot Chorioretinopathy Case Report). American Society of Retina Specialists. (January 2014). Available at http://www.asrs.org/education/spotlightcase/ 24/why-a-genetic-test-is-sometimes-worth-a-shot.
- Mendel TA, Clabough EB, Kao DS, Demidova-Rice TN, Durham JT, Zotter BC, Seaman SA, Cronk SM, Rakoczy EP, Katz AJ, Herman IM, Peirce SM, Yates PA. Pericytes Derived from Adipose-Derived Stem Cells Protect against Retinal Vasculopathy. PLoS One, 8(5):e65691, (2013). – majority of PhD dissertation with 82 citations as of June 2020
- Dos-Anjos Vilaboa S, Llull R, Mendel TA. Returning fat grafts to physiologic conditions using washing. Plast Reconstr Surg. Aug;132(2):323e-326, (2013).
- Taylor AC, Mendel TA, Mason KE, Degen KE, Yates PA, Peirce SM. EphrinB2 Reverse Signaling Controls Pathological Angiogenesis Through Direct Effects on Endothelial Tip Cell and Filopodial Formation. IOVS 53, 5462-5470, (2012).
- Tran K, Mendel TA, Holbrook KL, Yates PA. Construction of an Inexpensive, Hand-Held Fundus Camera through Modification of a Consumer "Point-and-Shoot" Camera. IOVS 53, 7600-7607, (2012).
Awards and Honors
- ARVO Travel Grant – 2020 – OCTA project for diabetic intraretinal microvascular abnormalities presentation at annual meeting. The Lefkovitz Award for Vision Research – won competitive grant application for project entitled: Use of Optical Coherence
- Tomography Angiography to Guide Evaluation and Treatment of Patients with Birdshot Chorioretinopathy. 2018. Representative to American Academy of Ophthalmology Mid-Year Forum in Washington D.C. – selected to represent residency as Advocacy Ambassador and later worked on scope of practice battle in Virginia. 2017.
- Selected as the representative of the University’s Biomedical Research to speak at Teresa Sullivan’s Inaugural Dinner as she became the University of Virginia’s eighth President, for audience of major University donors. (2011)
- Phi Eta Sigma – National Honor Fraternity – 2003