2021 Explorations in Neuroscience Summer Camp
June 7 - 11, 2021
2021 Summer Camp application deadline has passed. We are no longer accepting applications.
The Explorations in Neuroscience Summer Camp is designed for high school juniors and seniors with an interest in learning more about the brain and spinal cord in health and disease. Participants will have the opportunity to interact with faculty and students carrying out neuroscience related research. In addition, they will meet with clinicians from various clinical departments such as Neurology and Neurosurgery. Throughout the course, participants will meet with neuroscience faculty as well as graduate students in the Neuroscience Graduate Program who will lead discussions and talk about their exciting research.
On the final day of camp, we will provide a session that focuses on the Neuroscience Undergraduate Major where we will discuss career pathways in Neuroscience, including those leading to graduate school, medical fields including dentistry, nursing and allied health and other career options. Discussions will include suggestions on how to be successful as students go through their undergraduate programs.
The mission for the Explorations in Neuroscience Summer Camp is to provide substantial experiences and professional development activities to support future participation of high school students, including those typically underrepresented in Neuroscience, in undergraduate Neurological Disease Research, Neuroscience Majors, and careers in Neuroscience Research. This program is designed to provide a strong foundation for early neuroscientists to excel in competitive research programs.
Why choose the Explorations in Neuroscience Summer Camp?
- Hands-on lab sessions where students will learn the anatomy of the brain and spinal cord
- Presentations by clinicians on new techniques in treating nervous system disorders, such as spinal cord injury, Parkinson's Disease and others
- Presentations on research being carried out by faculty members in the Department of Neuroscience
- Discussions/debate about current topics in Neuroscience (e.g., use of marijuana, use of animals in research)
- Demonstration of neuroscience methodology (e.g., behavioral paradigms, physiological recordings, microscopy)
- Small group rotations through research labs where faculty and students will demonstrate and discuss their research programs
- Discussions with graduate students in Neuroscience Graduate Program and advisors from the Neuroscience Undergraduate Major
2021 Special Guests
Hoan Do is an award-winning inspirational speaker, author of Succeeding in the Real World, and city finalist in NBC’s hit show, American Ninja Warrior. Overcoming adversities in life has allowed Hoan to connect with others in a powerful way. Hoan travels the world sharing messages of hope and inspiration. Through partnering with organizations, colleges, and schools, Hoan’s practical strategies has impacted over 250,000 professionals and students.
Meet & Greet/Photo Op with Brutus Buckeye
Tentative per COVID-19 restrictions and social distancing guidelines.
For additional information or questions, please email us at email@example.com.