What is the ASPIRE Medical Research Program?
Communities across the nation continue to be impacted by disparities in health care access and health outcomes related to social determinants, implicit bias and inadequate access to translational research and culturally competent healthcare. Research experience and training for students from communities affected by health and healthcare disparities are critical to improving workforce diversity and unlocking collaborative solutions to these complex problems.
As an initiative of the Medical Science Training Program, the ASPIRE Medical Research Program's mission is to support undergraduate students who have been historically underrepresented and historically excluded from the health sciences with mentorship, research experience in world-class laboratories, and personal and academic support to prepare them for advanced education and careers as health care providers. Ultimately, we envision that our scholars will be considered undeniably competitive during the post-undergraduate portion of their training career.
In the ASPIRE Medical Research program, Ohio State undergraduate students can expect to:
- Develop skills and research experiences that will help them stand out on applications for graduate or professional health science programs
- Connect with students and Ohio State faculty from diverse backgrounds with similar interests
- Build and nurture professional relationships that will serve them at Ohio State and beyond
Upcoming ASPIRE 2024 Prospective Student Virtual Info Session
The ASPIRE student experience
ASPIRE Student Outcomes
Student Outcomes as of Summer 2021
- *MD - Enrolled in medical school
- Gap Year - Currently on gap year, will apply at conclusion
- Post Bac - Currently enrolled in post-baccalaureate program
- Applying - Currently applying to MD, MD/PhD, PharmD program
- Undergrad - Current undergrad student
- Undecided - Graduated from undergrad but has not made decision on pursuits