The Ohio State University College of Medicine’s Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) prepares you to become a physician-scientist and a leader in health care. In Ohio State’s dual-degree MD-PhD program, you’ll be trained extensively in research and clinical medicine, feel empowered to create knowledge that benefits humanity and be provided the mentorship, sponsorship and training to ensure your personal and professional success.
What makes Ohio State’s MD-PhD program unique?
- The MSTP program’s rigorous yet compassionate training environment is located at a world-renowned university and one of the best academic health centers in the country, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
- Ohio State values a culture of collaboration over competition. With Ohio State’s focus on interprofessional education and the building of our new Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Center, each student in the College of Medicine has the opportunity to learn and train with students from Ohio State’s six other health science colleges.
- You’re part of a community that cares for you, as a person and as a professional. You’ll be surrounded by people who are passionate about the impact of their work, and who inspire you to help create a more vibrant future.
- MSTP faculty members provide guidance and mentorship and MSTP leadership provides support so that you can advance your career and research interests and have a lasting impact on people and communities.
- Ohio State’s MSTP community is a tight-knit group of students from across the country. From study sessions in Prior Hall to rooting for the Buckeyes on game day, you’ll share experiences that create personal and professional connections that can last a lifetime.
- Columbus – the 14th most populous city in the nation – is a welcoming, culturally diverse city with a low cost of living and plenty of entertainment options for young professionals and families.
We offer three core programs – biomedical sciences, neuroscience and biomedical engineering – and many affiliate PhD programs. Additionally, an MSTP Fellowship for pediatric research is available through a special partnership with Nationwide Children’s Hospital. Ohio State’s LSI3 curriculum blends our innovative medical school program with the curricula of partnering graduate programs to provide MSTP students with a comprehensive learning experience.
About MSTP Leadership
Ohio State’s MSTP program is co-directed by Ginny Bumgardner, MD, PhD and Rama Mallampalli, MD. Dr. Bumgardner’s research expertise is in the areas of immunobiology and translational science, whereas Dr. Mallampalli’s research expertise is in biochemistry, small molecule discovery and drug commercialization. Both have extensive experience overseeing large NIH funded training programs and have an enormous passion for training the next generation of physician-scholars.
Resources for Prospective MSTP Students:
Learn how to apply to the MSTP program and review application deadlines and requirements.
Education and training for next-generation physician-scientists who will shape the future of medicine
Our Current Students
Meet our current cohort of talented and highly accomplished candidates.
Read through general MSTP program, application and interview questions.
Office of Diversity & Inclusion
Cultural diversity enriches the educational experience and improves medical outcomes in our communities.
Medical Scientist Training Program: Through Ohio State’s MD/PhD program, Aliyah combines her passions for medicine and research as she develops new treatments for chronic pain.