Assistant Professor of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
Assistant Director, Center for Acute Lung Injury
Davis Heart & Lung Research Institute
473 W. 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210
5th Floor | 509 Office | 524 & 525 Lab
A physician-scientist, I received my MD from the University of Pittsburgh and completed residency and fellowship training through the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Research Pathway, also at the University of Pittsburgh. In 2019, I was recruited to the Ohio State University as an Assistant Professor of Medicine and Assistant Director of the Acute Lung Injury Center. My research focuses on molecular mechanisms contributing to pathobiology in critical illnesses, such as the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and sepsis.
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)
- Molecular regulation of innate immune signaling
- Protein Degradation
My lab focuses on the molecular regulation of pathobiology in critical illness syndromes, specifically severe pneumonia, ARDS and sepsis. Utilizing a bedside to bench (and back) approach, we use cutting edge technologies for molecular profiling of human biospecimens collected from critically ill patients to identify molecules and pathways that contribute to clinical outcomes. We then interrogate those targets to identify mechanisms driving dysregulated biology, using cell-based and animal preclinical models. Ultimately, my goal is to identify molecular targets to develop novel therapeutics for critical ill patients.
Education and Training
- MD: University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh PA, 2012
- Residency: Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh PA, 2014
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh PA 2016
- Fellowship: Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh PA, 2019
- Bednash JS, Weathington N, Londino JD, Rojas M, Gulick DL, Fort R, Han SH, McKelvey AC, Chen BB, Mallampalli RK. Targeting the deubiquitinase STAMBP inhibits NALP7 inflammasome activity. Nature Communications. 2017 May 11; 8:15203. PMID: 28492230.
- Bednash JS, Johns F, Patel N, Smail TR, Londino JD, Mallampalli RK. The deubiquitinase STAMBP modulates cytokine secretion through the NLRP3 inflammasome. Cellular Signalling, 2021 Mar; 79:109859. PMID: 33253913.
- Bednash JS, Kagan VE, Englert JA, Farkas D, Tyurina YY, Tyurin VA, Samovich SN, Farkas L, Elhance A, Johns F, Lee H, Cheng L, Majumdar A, Jones D, Rosas Mejia O, Ruane-Foster M, Londino JD, Mallampalli RK, Robinson RT. Syrian hamsters as a model of lung injury with SARS-CoV-2 infection: pathologic, physiologic and detailed molecular profiling. Translational Research, 2022 Feb;240:1-16. Epub 2021 Nov 2. PMID: 34740873.
View CV (doc)