473 W. 12th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
Lab Focus: My research program focuses on the exploration and identification of novel mechanisms by which environmental exposures lead to lung and/or cardiovascular disease pathogenesis. Currently, my lab is examining how air pollutants (ozone, particulate matter, wood smoke, etc) alter the innate immune response and processes important in resolving tissue inflammation and injury. Our research utilizes both basic and translational models of air pollution exposure and infectious/inflammatory lung diseases. More information about our research can be found here: http://www.gowdyenvironmentallunglab.com/
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Laboratory of Respiratory Biology, NIEHS/NIH, Research Triangle Park, NC
Postdoctoral Research, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
PhD: North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
MS: North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
BS: Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, VA
- Innate immunity
- Air quality
- Host defense
- Lipid metabolism
- Health disparities
- American Association of Immunologists Early Career Travel Grant, 2018
- Young Investigator Award, Inhalation and Respiratory Specialty Section, Society of Toxicology, 2017
- Outstanding Young Investigator Award, Immunotoxicology Specialty Section, Society of Toxicology, 2016
- Career Development Award, Center for Human Health and the Environment, 2015 & 2018
- Walter A. Rosenblith New Investigator Award, Health Effects Institute, 2015
- Incoming Chair of the Committee on Diversity Initiatives, Society of Toxicology (March 2020-present).
- Appointed Member of the Committee on Diversity Initiatives, Society of Toxicology (March 2019-present).
- Program Committee member for the Environmental, Occupational and Population Health Assembly, American Thoracic Society (May 2019- present).
- Basic and Translational Science Working Group Member, American Thoracic Society (January 2019-present).
- President for the North Carolina Society of Toxicology (May 2018-2019).
- Councilor, Inhalation and Respiratory Toxicology Specialty Section, Society of Toxicology (March 2018-May 2020).
- Scientific Advisory Committee Member, American Thoracic Society (May 2018-present).
- Society Member, American Thoracic Society (2011 – present).
- Society Member, Society of Toxicology (2007 – present).
- Society Member, American Association of Immunologists (2006 – present).
Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University