Bridging a gap
The Center for Medical and Engineering Innovation (CMEI) encourages the creation, development and translation of research and education occurring at the intersection of medicine and engineering. The most impactful solutions to solve problems arising in medicine are, and will continue to be, the result of interdisciplinary collaboration.
In the past few years, health college personnel across campus have expressed interest in partnering with those in engineering to improve patient care and healthcare delivery. The vast pool of resources and connections at The Ohio State University makes each of our initiatives possible. Beyond its existing culture of collaboration, Ohio State has three distinct advantages for being a national leader at the medicine-engineering interface:
- The close proximity of its College of Engineering, its seven health sciences colleges (Medicine, Dentistry, Optometry, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, Public Health and Nursing), and its healthcare facilities (Wexner Medical Center, Nationwide Children’s Hospital)
- The exceptional performance of its faculty, staff, students and trainees at all levels
- The excellence of its research, educational and clinical facilities, including the Wexner Medical Center and Nationwide Children's Hospital
Why is the intersection of medicine and engineering worth exploring?
Our efforts in solving problems at the medicine-engineering interface apply to issues of worldwide significance and to the advancement of the well-being of the people in Ohio and the global community. Specific reasons why activities involving these two disciplines are crucial include:
- Promoting increased basic research and educational activities in areas to confront illnesses and diseases
- Development of innovative technology-based therapeutic and diagnostic strategies that both improve quality of life and lower health care costs
- Expansion of capabilities for translating basic science findings into advanced diagnostic methods, drug, device, and interventional therapies
- Promotion of intellectual property creation and entrepreneurial activity for solutions to important clinical issues
By enabling faculty, students, trainees and staff to establish interdisciplinary partnerships, CMEI is a pioneer in promoting the cross-college participation necessary to meet the clinical challenges of today and tomorrow.