Established in 1879, the Department of Physiology and Cell Biology at The Ohio State University is one of the oldest departments of its kind in the United States. The department has been internationally recognized as a leader in the field of muscle physiology since the days of professor Emil Bozler, PhD, a distinguished researcher at Ohio State from 1936–75 who contributed to the understanding of the mechanisms of smooth and cardiac muscle activation and the role of calcium in skeletal muscle contraction.
The mission of the Department of Physiology and Cell Biology has three major components:
- To educate undergraduate, graduate and professional students in the physiological and cell biological sciences and skills basic to the practice of medicine, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy and other allied health professions. Graduate education, which is incorporated in this function, prepares students for careers in physiological and cell biological research, research management and teaching.
- To conduct basic and applied research that extends the frontiers of physiological and cell biological science at all levels of biological organization, from molecules to the whole organism, with relevance for the solution of health problems in humans and animals.
- To provide service and expertise to The Ohio State University, the state of Ohio and national/international biomedical organizations.
A Message From the Department Chair
Isabelle Deschenes, PhD
Welcome to The Ohio State University Department of Physiology and Cell Biology!
Faculty members in the Department are involved in cutting-edge research embracing Physiology and Cell Biology in the context of diseases. Our research spans a continuum from basic to translational research with strong programs in cardiovascular, skeletal muscle, pulmonary, and cancer biology research. Our quickly growing department is a stimulating environment for faculty to mentor graduate, undergraduate and medical students along with post-doctoral fellows in acquiring the skills they need to develop as leaders in academia, medical professions or in the biotechnology and biopharmaceutical industries. We strive to provide a collegial, collaborative and diverse environment with extensive synergy between our Department and faculty in the College of Medicine but also in other colleges such as Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry and Arts and Sciences. Together, faculty, students and staff, capitalize on the rich environment provided at The Ohio State University to increase our knowledge of the human body to develop novel diagnosis and therapies.
Thank you for visiting our website and exploring our research and educational programs.
- Molecular Genetics
- Protein Engineering
- Cell Biology
- Advanced Imaging
- Single Cell and Organ Physiology
- Genetically Engineered Animal Models of Disease
Research Discoveries in:
- Metabolic Disease
- Pulmonary Disease
- Musculoskeletal and Neuromuscular Diseases