Our program’s curricular goals are to teach our students to:
- demonstrate advanced knowledge in genetics, genomics and psychosocial counseling for use in evidence-based practice.
- think critically, evaluate and synthesize information from research and produce their own sound and scientific research related to the genetics profession.
- show respect to and empathy for their patients, peers, learners, supervisors and other health care professionals.
- achieve positions of leadership within their practice setting, local communities and national organizations and provide mentorship to developing genetic counselors.
The objective of our program is to train future genetic counselors by providing comprehensive course work, research experiences and a variety of supervised fieldwork opportunities. The curriculum also seeks to provide an environment that nurtures and stimulates the research interests and the intellectual advancement of both students and faculty by providing a forum for scientific and professional discourse. Upon graduation, students will be prepared to enter their choice of academic, industrial, regulatory or other work settings and be eligible for certification by the American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC).
The Ohio State University Genetic Counseling Graduate Program offers a traditional two-year master’s degree. Please see the table below for credit hours per semester and other information.
Fieldwork placement sites
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- Adult Medical Genetics
- Stefanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center
- Cardiovascular Genetic and Genomic Medicine Clinic
- Genitourinary Cancer
- Gastrointestinal and Endocrine Cancer
- Gynecologic Oncology Cancer
- Hematologic Malignancies/General Cancer
- Molecular Laboratory
- Newborn Screening Laboratory
Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- Developmental Disability Autism Center
- General Pediatric Genetics
- Neurogenetics Pediatrics
- Specialty Clinics
Akron Children’s Hospital
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
Dayton Children’s Hospital
Miami Valley Hospital/Premier Health - Prenatal
OhioHealth Bing Cancer Center