Assistant Professor of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
Research Director, Center for Acute Lung Injury
Davis Heart & Lung Research Institute, 473 W. 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210
5th Floor | 511 Office | 524 & 525 Lab
- Innate immune signaling in acute lung injury
- Epithelial and macrophage biology
- Ubiquitin proteasome pathway
- Proximity Labeling Mass spectrometry
My lab is interested in innate immune signaling during pneumonia, sepsis, acute lung injury (ALI) and the acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). We have two main research themes: 1) Examining how the ubiquitin / proteosome machinery regulates the antiviral and inflammatory response (particularly interferon). 2) Using proteomics to examine protein-protein interactions to find novel targets in acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Despite years of study, ARDS remains common and has a high rate of mortality. Therapeutics developed to date have largely been ineffective. My overarching goal is to better understand the molecular regulators of ARDS to help develop novel therapies.
Postdoctoral Research: University of Pittsburgh
PhD: Cell, developmental and integrative biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Johnson BS, Chafin L, Farkas D, Adair J, Elhance A, Farkas L, Bednash JS, Londino JD. MicroID2: A Novel Biotin Ligase Enables Rapid Proximity Dependent Proteomics. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2022 Jun 7.
- Apriamashvili G, Vredevoogd DW, Krijgsman O, Bleijerveld OB, Ligtenberg MA, de Bruijn B, Boshuizen J, Traets JJH, D'Empaire Altimari D, van Vliet A, Lin CP, Visser NL, Londino JD, Sanchez-Hodge R, Oswalt LE, Altinok S, Schisler JC, Altelaar M, Peeper DS. Ubiquitin ligase STUB1 destabilizes IFNγ-receptor complex to suppress tumor IFNγ signaling. Nat Commun. 2022 Apr 8.
- Bednash JS, Kagan VE, Englert JA, Farkas D, Tyurina YY, Tyurin VA, Samovich SN, Farkas L, Elhance A, Johns F, Lee H, Cheng L, Majumdar A, Jones D, Mejia OR, Ruane-Foster M, Londino JD, Mallampalli RK, Robinson RT. Syrian hamsters as a model of lung injury with SARS-CoV-2 infection: Pathologic, physiologic, and detailed molecular profiling. Transl Res. 2022 Feb;240:1-16. doi: 10.1016/j.trsl.2021.10.007. Epub 2021 Nov 2. PubMed PMID: 34740873; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC8562047.
- Mallampalli RK, Adair J, Elhance A, Farkas D, Chafin L, Long ME, De M, Mora AL, Rojas M, Peters V, Bednash JS, Tsai M, Londino JD. Interferon Lambda Signaling in Macrophages Is Necessary for the Antiviral Response to Influenza. Front Immunol. 2021