Director, Division of Health and Integration
Director, Clinical Psychology Training
Director, Behavioral Cardiology
Professor – Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health and Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
1670 Upham Drive
Columbus OH 43210
My research efforts have concentrated on the evidence–based assessment and treatment of anxiety disorders. Most recently, my research has focused on the prevalence and treatment of anxiety in coronary heart disease (CHD). Ultimately, I hope to extend and refine treatment interventions to those individuals with CHD and anxiety.
Education and Training
PhD: University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN (1986)
Post-doctoral Fellow: Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine & University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cognitive Therapy, specializing in treatment of anxiety disorders (1988 – 1990)
- Kent State University, Assistant Professor (1986-1988)
- Saint Louis University College of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Assistant Professor, (1990-1996)
- University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Psychiatry (1996-2014). Director – Cognitive Behavior Therapy Training, Director – Stress & Anxiety Disorders Clinic
- Associate Professor (1996-2007)
- Professor (2007-2014)
- Professor, Department of Psychology (2008-2014)
- Professor, The Ohio State University, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health (2014 to present)
- Ohio Psychologist License (2014 to present)
- Editor, Special Issue, Cognitive and Behavioral Practice
- Editorial board, Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 1997 – present
- Editorial board, Journal of Obsessive Compulsive Disorders, 2011 – present
Members and Honors
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, 1987 to present
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, Board of Directors, 2008 – 2011
- Fellow, 2015 to present
- Academy of Cognitive Therapy – 1998 to present
- Founding Fellow/Diplomate, 2002 to present
- Certified Trainer/Consultant, 2015 to present
- National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology, 1989 – present
- Beck Institute Scholar (2004)
Marker, C.D., Carmin, C.N., & Ownby, R.L. (2008). Confirmatory factor analysis of the Cardiac Anxiety Questionnaire. Depression and Anxiety, 25, 824-831.
Carmin, C.N., Ownby, R.L., Wiegartz, P.S., & Kondos, G.T. (2008). Women and non-cardiac chest pain: Gender differences related to symptom presentation. Archives of Women’s Mental Health, 11(4), 287-293.
Carmin, C.N. (2009). Gender difference and symptom presentation in non-cardiac chest pain. The Female Patient, 34(10), 40-42.
Taylor, S., Coles, M.E., Abramowitz, J.S., Wu, K.D., Olatunji, B.O., Timpano, K.R., McKay, D., Kim, S.K., Carmin, C.N., Tolin, D.F. (2010). How are dysfunctional beliefs related to OCD symptoms? Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy, 24(3), 165-176.
Magee, J.C. & Carmin, C.N. (2010). The relation of sleep and anxiety in the elderly. Current Psychiatry Reports, 12(1), 13-19.
Fergus, T.A. & Carmin, C.N. (2014). Validity and specificity of the short form of The Obsessive Beliefs Questionnaire (OBQ). Journal of Psychopathology and Behavior Assessment, 36, 318-328.
Rodgers, J.J., Carmin, C.N., & Kelly, K.M. (2014). Non-epileptic seizures in an adolescent with Asperger’s Syndrome treated to complete remission with modified cognitive behavioral therapy. Journal of Neuropsychiatry, 26(2), 3-4.
Kemper, K.J., Carmin, C.N., Malarky, W., Mehta, B., Kurpita, R., Thornton, L, & Binkley, P. (2015). Integrative medical care plus mindfulness training for patients with congestive heart failure: Proof of concept. Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 21(4). 282-290. DOI: 10.1177/2156587215599470
Calamari, J.E., Carmin, C.N., Messerlie, A., & Sarac, S. (2020). Obsessive-compulsive disorders in older adults. In David Tolin (Ed.). Oxford Handbook of OCD and Related Disorders (2nd ed.). NY: Oxford University Press.