Co-director - Division of Cognition and Emotion
Associate professor - Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Health
1670 Upham Dr.
Columbus, OH 43210
- Pennsylvania State Board of Psychology
Research interests include:
- Functional neuroanatomy of depression, anxiety, and other disorders of negative affect
- Links between dimensions of negative affect and functioning in everyday life
- Predictors and mechanisms of differential response to treatments for mood and anxiety disorders
- Development and refinement of individualized treatment strategies
Dr. Fournier’s research program focuses on identifying patient characteristics that are associated with differential response to treatments for depression and related disorders. In addition, his work investigates the neural and behavioral mechanisms through which those characteristics either facilitate or inhibit response to relevant treatments. As such, Dr. Fournier’s research bridges work in clinical interventions, mood disorders, personality and neuroscience.
The ultimate goal of his work is to develop more effective treatment strategies that can be tailored to the unique needs of individual patients.
BA: Brandeis University, Psychology and Philosophy
MA: University of Pennsylvania, Clinical Psychology
PhD: University of Pennsylvania, Clinical Psychology
Internship: Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC
Postdoctoral: University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Fulbright Fellowship: University of Turku, Turku, Finland - 2002
- Ken Howard Memorial Travel Award, Society for Psychotherapy Research - 2006
- Ken Howard Memorial Travel Award, Society for Psychotherapy Research - 2007
- Dean’s Scholar, University of Pennsylvania - 2008
- Award for Exemplary Service, Western Psychiatric Hospital, Clinical Psychology Internship Training Program - 2015
- Travel Fellowship Award, Society of Biological Psychiatry - 2017
- Travel Award, American College of Neuropsychopharmacology - 2017
- Member, Society of Biological Psychiatry
- Member, Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies
- Member, Society for a Science of Clinical Psychology
- Member, Society of Clinical Psychology, Division 12 of the American Psychological Association
- Member, Anxiety and Depression Association of America
Fournier JC, DeRubeis RJ, Hollon SD, Dimidjian S, Amsterdam JD, Shelton RC, Fawcett J. Antidepressant drug effects and depression severity: A patient-level meta-analysis. JAMA. 2010;303(1):47-53. doi: 10.1001/jama.2009.1943. PMCID: PMC3712503.
Fournier JC, Keener M, Mullin B, Hafeman D, LaBarbara E, Stiffler R, Almeida J, Kronhaus D, Frank E, Phillips M. Heterogeneity of amygdala response to happy faces in major depressive disorder: The impact of lifetime sub-threshold mania. Psychol Med. 2013;43(02):293-302. doi: 10.1017/S0033291712000918. PMCID: PMC3773940.
Fournier JC, Chase HW, Almeida J, Phillips ML. Model specification and the reliability of fMRI results: Implications for longitudinal neuroimaging studies in psychiatry. PLoS ONE. 2014;9(8):e105169. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0105169. PMCID: PMC4148299.
Fournier, JC, Price, R. Neuroimaging and Psychotherapy. FOCUS: The Journal of Lifelong Learning in Psychiatry. 2014;12, 290-298.
Fournier JC, Chase HW, Almeida J, Phillips ML. Within- and between-session changes in neural activity during emotion processing in unipolar and bipolar depression. Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging. 2016;1(6):518-27. doi: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2016.03.005. PMCID: PMC5220672.
Fournier JC, Chase HW, Greenberg T, Etkin A, Almeida JR, Stiffler R, Deckersbach T, Weyandt S, Cooper C, Toups M, Carmody T, Kurian B, Peltier S, Adams P, McInnis MG, Oquendo MA, McGrath PJ, Fava M, Weissman M, Parsey R, Trivedi MH, Phillips ML. Neuroticism and individual differences in neural function in unmedicated major depression: Findings from the EMBARC study. Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging. 2017;2(2):138-48. doi: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2016.11.008. PMCID: PMC5624319.
Fournier JC, Wright AGC, Tackett JL, Uliaszek AA, Pilkonis PA, Manuck SB, Bagby RM. Decoupling personality and acute psychiatric symptoms in a depressed and a community sample. Clinical Psychological Science. 2019;17(3):566-581. doi: 10.1177/2167702618813989. PMCID: PMC6782051 [Available on 2020-05-01].
Greenberg T*, Fournier JC*, Stiffler R, Chase H, Almeida J, Aslam H, Deckersbach T, Cooper C, Toups M, Carmody T, Kurian B, Peltier S, Adams P, McInnis M, Oquendo M, Fava M, Parsey R, McGrath P, Weissman M, Trivedi M, Phillips M. Reward related ventral striatal activity and differential response to sertraline versus placebo in depressed individuals. Molecular Psychiatry. 2020; 25:1526-1536. doi: 10.1038/s41380-019-0490-5. PMCID: PMC In progress.
Fournier JC, Roberts NJ, Ford KL. Personality and psychopathology: In defense of a practical path toward integrating psychometric and biological approaches to advance a comprehensive model. Journal of Personality. (In Press). doi: DOI: 10.1111/jopy.12605.
Sauer-Zavala S*, Fournier JC*, Steele SJ, Woods BK, Farchione TJ, Barlow DH. Does the Unified Protocol really treat neuroticism? Results from a randomized-controlled trial. Psychological Medicine. (In Press). doi:10.1017/S0033291720000975 PMCID: PMC In progress.
Fournier JC*, Bertocci M*, Ladouceur CD, Bonar L, Monk K, Abdul-Waalee H, Versace A, Santos JPL, Iyengar S, Birmaher B, Phillips ML. Neural Function During Emotion Regulation and Future Depressive Symptoms in Youth at Risk for Affective Disorders. Neuropsychopharmacology. (In Press).
*Denotes joint first authorship