College of Medicine
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research/Sleep Medicine
Wexner Medical Center
Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Center for Innovation in Pediatric Practice
700 Children’s Drive
Columbus, OH 43205
Dr. Kowatch has authored or co-authored more than 100 articles, 14 book chapters and two books. He has published in the areas of the diagnosis and treatment of children and adolescents with bipolar disorders, sleep disorders and depression. His articles have been published in the Journal of American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Neuropsychopharmacology, Archives of General Psychiatry and Journal of Child Neurology, among others.
- Adolescent mental health
- Narcolepsy and sleep health
- Stem cells
- Pediatric mood and pediatric sleep disorders
- LAMS Longitudinal Assessment of Manic Symptoms – a collaborative, multi-site, NIMH-funded, collaborative R01 that is longitudinally investigating “elevated symptoms of mania” (ESM) in 707 adolescents.
- Etiology of Hypocretin Cell Death in Young Patients with Narcolepsy - this study will examine the genetic basis of narcolepsy and the role of hypocretin neurons in the development of narcolepsy.
- Sleep Research Database – to developed a queriable sleep research database in collaboration with NCH.
- The Pedi MH Screen – mental health-screening device for patients in pediatric clinics.
MD: The Chicago Medical School
PhD: The University of Texas at Dallas, Cognition and Neuroscience
Fellowship: Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Hahnemann University
Residency: General Psychiatry, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Internship: Internal Medicine, The Graduate Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 1997 - 2004
- Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, 2001 - Present
- Current Psychiatry, 2002 - Present
- Bipolar Disorders: Reviews and Commentaries, 2002 - 2008
- Editor: Current Psychiatry for Child Psychiatry
- Journal Reviewer Ships
- Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,1994 - Present
- Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, 1998 - Present
- Bipolar Disorders, 2002 - Present
- Journal of Biological Psychiatry, 2001 - Present
- Archives of General Psychiatry, 2010 - Present
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Sleep Disorders Association
Honors and News
- Chief Resident. Hahnemann University Hospital, 1984 - 1985
- Arthur B. Richter Visiting Professor in Child Psychiatry, Indiana University School of Medicine, 2004
- Fellow, American Association of Sleep Medicine