Doris Duke Charitable Foundation 2023 Clinical Scientist Development Award
Purpose: To provide funding to early career physician scientists to facilitate their transition to independent clinical research careers
Award: The Clinical Scientist Development Award consists of $150,000 annual direct costs plus $15,000 (10%) annual indirect costs for three years.
Application Deadline: Pre-proposal applications are due Thursday, November 17, 2022, at 3:00 PM EST.
The priority of this grant program is to fund outstanding individuals with potential for clinical research careers, substantial institutional commitments to mentorship and career development, and whose projects will address highly significant research questions and lead to career advancement. The Doris Duke Charitable Foundation does not have funding priorities based on disease area or research type.
Key Eligibility Requirements
- Have an MD, DO, or foreign equivalent degree from an accredited institution
- Have a full-time faculty appointment at the Assistant Professor rank, with appointment starting no earlier than December 1, 2018 and no later than December 1, 2021
Research Innovation Career Development Award
Research Support Grant
The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Wexner Medical Center Research Innovation Career Development Award is a research grant designed to provide critical support (especially research protected time) for promising early career clinician scientists to maintain momentum of their scientific investigations.
The Research Innovation Career Development Award is available to:
Early and mid-career clinician scientists (assistant and associate professor) with a clinical appointment at the Ohio State Wexner Medical who are ≤ 9 years from most recent hire date and actively engaged in research with existing ≥ 0.20 research protected time.
Research Innovation Career Development Award benefits and goals:
- Award amount $75,000
- Support clinician scientist research innovations
- Advance faculty academic careers
Application deadline: Monday, Aug. 1, 2022
Access the RICDA Grant Application
Attend the RICDA Information Session
If you have questions about this award, please email our associate dean for Physician Scientist Education and Training at Ginny.Bumgardner@osumc.edu.
The Ohio State University Physician-Scientist Retention in Research Support
What is the goal? The goal of this opportunity is to provide timely and impactful support to promising early career physician-scientists who are at risk for or are experiencing an interruption in their research engagement and productivity due to an unexpected and significant increase in family caregiving responsibilities (especially those precipitated by the COVID-19 pandemic).
Who is eligible? Eligible candidates include early career physician-scientists (full time Assistant Professor or Associate Professor if ≤ 12 months, with MD, DO or foreign equivalent medical degree) with clinical responsibilities at OSUWMC and who have internally and/or externally funded research and ≥40% protected time for research effort.
Research Support: The research support provided will be tailored to individual needs. The type of research support could include short-term “extra hands” clinical research support, research core services (biostatistics, bioinformatics, clinical trials management etc.), research project management training/support, manuscript/grant editing support, academic coaching services, targeted research education, training, mentorship and guidance and/or financial support to increase faculty protected time for research. Overall financial support provided is estimated to range from 30K-50K. Research center/departmental/divisional “matching” financial support to increase faculty research protected time and/or to enhance research activities for one year is strongly encouraged.
Applications due: Before midnight on June 30, 2022
Please contact Stuart Hobbs with questions, firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Innovation Career Development Award Announced
- August 2022 - Physician Scientist Initiative Spotlight in Ohio State Medicine Alumni Magazine (Download pdf)
- May 2022 - New Directors in Physician-Scientist Education and Training (internal access only)
- April 2022 - Haley Klimaszewski, an Ohio State medical student, recently accepted the American Society of Hematology Medical Student Physician Scientist Award. Congratulations, Haley!
- April 2022 - Four physician scientists awarded Doris Duke Charitable Foundation grants to further research impacted by COVID-19
- Nov. 2021 - College of Medicine receives grant to advance research productivity and retention of early-career faculty impacted by COVID-19