Patient Information Access and Management Policies
There are two major regulations that govern the use of patient information in research studies: Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Protection of Human Subjects 45 CFR 46 and the HIPAA Privacy Rule.
The Ohio State University Medical Center department of Medical Information Management (MIM) has a detailed guide and policy to access information for research activities that includes:
- General information
- Accessing patient information in order to prepare a research protocol
- Use of patient information to identify and/or contact potential research subjects
- Request for access to data on deceased individuals
- Request for access to clinical information of subjects enrolled in a clinical trial
- Access to health system data for retrospective data review
Protect information, when emailing outside of the medical center use secure email.
Instructions on how to send secure mail: SecureMail-MedCenter IS Fact Sheet
If you need additional information or do not have an OSUMC login to access the Medical Information Management website, please contact the Privacy Office at 614-293-4477.
Information about case studies
RDR i2b2 - The Ohio State Research Data Repository
More information about RDR and i2b2