International Global Health Elective
Residents and fellows at The Ohio State Wexner Medical Center can participate in a Global Health Elective (GHE). This elective can be an immersive experience on its own or part of the larger Global Health Scholars Program.
Academic Criteria and Requirements
- Participants must be in good standing with their academic program.
- A rank of PGY2 or above is required.
- Approvals are required from the program director, the GME Office, and the host site.
- Pre-departure training must be completed prior to the elective.
Safety Criteria and Requirements
The safety of our participating residents and fellows is of utmost importance. The following steps help ensure that a site is safe for a rotator.
- Sites will be evaluated and approved by the GHSP Steering Committee with input from multiple sources including, but not limited to:
- U.S. Department of State
- Center for Disease Control – Travelers’ Health
- Reports from physicians currently working or have recently worked at a site.
- Please review visa requirements, embassy locations, current security threats, crime statistics, medical facilities, general health information, and medical insurance options.
- Avoid countries with travel alerts or travel warnings. Please use the following sites to assess security level of your host country:
- Locations must offer adequately safe lodging, including potable water and reasonable health care facilities.
- The host site must be accessible for rapid evacuation should the need arise (i.e., airport nearby or a safe way to travel to the nearest airport).
Application Process Overview
Six Months Prior to Global Health Elective
120 Days Prior to Global Health Elective
60 Days Prior to Global Health Elective
During the Global Health Elective
- If you have questions or concerns during your trip, please contact someone from the Global Health Program Steering Committee via email. Contact information will be given to you prior to your departure. Other emergency phone numbers are included below:
- Ohio State 24/7 International Emergency Phone Line: +1-614-292-6677
- U.S. Department of State American Citizen’s Services: +1-202-501-4444
- Ohio State University Office of Global Health: +1-614-247-8968
- The Site Director or designee must provide a detailed, written (or electronic) evaluation of the Resident’s/Fellow’s performance at the conclusion of the rotation. It might be helpful to print and take this with you to ensure it is completed in a timely fashion.
- Schedule a debrief session with your site supervisor near the end of your rotation. While this is not required, it is recommended.
- Please remember ethical principles in clinical activities, photography, and research. All research activities during Global Health elective must be conducted in compliance with The Ohio State Wexner Medical Center and IRB policies. Please refer to appropriate policies below.
After the Global Health Elective
- You must complete a post-trip debrief with your mentor within 3 months of your return.