As a large tertiary referral center and the only academic health center in Columbus and, the Ohio State cardiac surgery team treats the most complex patient cases from central Ohio and the surrounding regions. Patients are treated in the state-of-the-art Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital, a freestanding hospital dedicated to cardiovascular care, and have access to a robust research program with our sister research institute, the Dorothy M. Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute.
Leading Heart and Vascular Care in Central Ohio
Bob Garner patient story (LVAS/TRX)
Bob Garner suffered with congestive heart failure for years, unable to do basic daily activities. Seeing no improvement in his heart health, Bob sought a second opinion at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
Ex-vivo lung feature
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center’s Comprehensive Transplant Center is the first in Ohio and among only a handful nationwide to test a novel method that could potentially double the number of available lungs for transplantation and save more of the 35 million Americans suffering from chronic lung disease.
- Home to Central Ohio’s only adult heart and lung transplant center
- Completed more than 600 heart transplants and 400 lung transplants
- Home to a dedicated Aortic Center, combining the expertise of cardiac and vascular surgery for complex aortic cases
- More than 270 cardiovascular research projects underway
- More than 55,000 annual cardiovascular admissions and outpatient visits
- 2,700+ annual cardiac and vascular surgeries
- Our patient satisfaction scores routinely remain above the 98th percentile
- Rapidly growing ambulatory footprint, offering more Ohioans access to Ohio State care
Our experts at work
Watch Ohio State cardiac surgery faculty in action: