University Hospital Surgical ICU - 4 Months
This unit has over 40 surgical intensive care beds where advanced care is provided to trauma, burn, acute care surgery, orthopedic and other subspecialty patients. This unit is divided into 2 services: “Scarlet” and “Grey.”
- OSU is a level 1 Trauma Center and the only American Burn Association-certified center in central Ohio.
- OSU sees approximately 2850 total trauma and burn patients each year.
James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute Surgical ICU - 2 Months
This 10 bed unit is dedicated to the care of cancer patients with acute surgical problems.
- The James is one of the largest and highest rated cancer centers in the country.
- This relationship provides an added range of experiences with patients undergoing new surgical and minimally invasive techniques for the treatment of cancers.
Ross Heart Hospital - 2 Months
The Ross Heart Hospital includes 30 ICU beds for the care of patients undergoing complex cardiac, vascular and thoracic surgery as well as those requiring mechanical circulatory support.
- The Ross includes very active programs in extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) as well as heart and lung transplantation.
- OSU is one of the busiest Organ Transplant Centers in the country - ranking 8th in 2020 for the number of Heart, Lung, Liver and Kidney transplants
- In 2020 OSU transplanted 29 Hearts, 68 Lungs, 148 Livers and 342 Kidneys
Neuro and Medical ICU - 1 Month
- Responsibilities include fellow level leadership in the unit and participation in rotation-specific didactics
Elective time - 3 Months
- 1 Month split between Interventional Radiology and Trans-thoracic Echocardiography
- 2 Months dedicated to a clinical or research experience chosen by the fellow