Why choose Ohio State for your residency?
We at Ohio State Emergency Medicine (EM) are proud to embody a program that pushes for the very best residency education, persistent innovation and advancement of causes we believe in.
We work hard to ensure that the education we provide our residents is the best possible curriculum in a quaternary care setting. We optimize residents’ clinical experiences to include the highest-yield rotations, and also include a generous number of elective rotations in three years so that residents can customize their experience to build toward their future careers. We offer state-of-the-art resident education with engaged faculty presenting innovative didactics and small groups, weekly simulation and procedural sessions, a world-class ultrasound program, and special conference days such as Wilderness Medicine and our annual resident retreat.
We are proud of additional areas in which Ohio State EM stands out — countless academic and professional development opportunities, a robust resident well-being program funded by our $2 million Sam Kiehl III Endowment, and a true push for equity and parity both for our patients and our colleagues through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee and our women in EM group, Resident and Faculty Female Tribe (RAFFT).
Finally, we offer a robust resident coaching program where dedicated faculty mentors can help you tailor your residency experience to achieve your goals. Subsequently, we consistently place our graduates in competitive positions and geographic areas year after year — in both academic and community settings. We look forward to you joining our Buckeye EM family!
- New state-of-the-art 110 bed emergency department
- High-acuity patients: 10-15% of our patients are admitted to the ICU
- Comprehensive longitudinal ultrasound program
- Novel educational offerings such as small group sessions, professor rounds and coaching program
- Generous stipend for attendance of national emergency medicine conferences and other educational resources
- Spend one month working at Kaiser Permanente in Hawaii – travel, car and housing are provided
- Close working relationship with The Ohio State University College of Medicine
- 220,000 patients treated per year at our three major clinical sites
- Three NIH funded researchers in our department
- Over 1,200 inpatient beds in The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- The only burn center in central Ohio
- The only emergency department in central Ohio with 24/7 hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) treatment available
- Columbus is the 15th largest city in the U.S.
Women in Medicine