Online Courses with University of Minnesota
Develop your research mentoring skills through self-paced, online courses. Courses are available at no charge to people affiliated with the University of Minnesota and to external users who create a guest account with the University.
Optimizing the Practice of Mentoring (OPM) 101: For Research Mentors of Graduate Students, Fellows, and Early-Career Faculty
- Defines different types of mentoring models that are applied in research settings.
- Summarizes the roles and responsibilities of research mentors.
- Outlines steps for navigating the core phases of a mentoring relationship.
- Offers strategies for supporting mentees' intellectual, professional, and psychosocial development.
- Includes online activities designed to help address specific mentoring challenges.
Note: If you registered for this module before the updated version launched on August 19, 2019, you’ll need to re-register using the new system.
- Adaptation of Optimizing the Practice of Mentoring 101.
- Features content and activities specific to mentors working with undergraduate research trainees.
- Describes a theoretically driven approach to mentoring that focuses on attending to the core psychological needs that enhance a mentee’s motivation.
- Covers basic motivation concepts and their well-researched impact on mentees' satisfaction, performance, and persistence in educational and professional settings.
- Guides learners on strategies for putting the model’s principles into action with their mentees.