This program allows students to complete the dual-degree requirements within an average of eight years. Students are recruited on the basis of outstanding scholastic and research achievement, and demonstrated commitment to medicine. All students in the MSTP program receive full financial support with a generous stipend, and paid tuition and fees.
Students who have completed their second year of medical school are eligible to apply to the MSTP as Advanced Training Applicant (ATAs). These students are evaluated as rigorously as new applicants (including the requirement for high-level research experience) and are accepted into the program only if their achievements are equivalent to the excellence of our other MSTP students.
Admission is highly selective and reserved for very accomplished students who are committed to an academic career as a physician-scientist with a heavy involvement in research. Roughly 260 candidates apply and 10 matriculate into the program each year. Yet we encourage you to apply for this program. While it’s very challenging, the opportunities for learning and studying with internationally recognized scientists are unparalleled.
Admission RequirementsThe following are requirements for MSTP applicants to The Ohio State College of Medicine:
- Completed AMCAS application
- Completed College of Medicine secondary application form (maximum of two PhD programs selected on form)
- Four letters of recommendation: two should address the applicant’s research experience and potential; two other letters should be from teachers or professors who have taught and graded the applicant. All of these should be submitted via AMCAS.
- Current CV. Please send this via mail or email directly to the MSTP Office.
- A personal statement specific to each graduate program you select on your College of Medicine secondary application form. This one-page statement should focus on your reasons for selecting the graduate program and can be submitted directly to the MSTP office.
- An official transcript from each college or university attended listing all courses and grades must be received via one of the following methods:
The Ohio State University
P.S. Box 182004
Columbus, OH 43218-2004
Please note that any MSTP applicant who is interested in the dual MSTP/HRS PhD program will need to apply to both the MD program as well as the HRS PhD as two separate applications. A fee waiver will be granted to those who choose HRS as their PhD program of choice, and when completing the HRS PhD application, you will want to select “PGD Program” to have this application fee waived. To learn more about the program requirements and to complete the HRS PhD application, please visit the Graduate and Professional Admissions webpage.
Presently, the program is available to only U.S. students and permanent residents; we regret that international students are ineligible.