Area of Study: Neuroimmunology
Hometown: Bakersfield, CA and Paso Robles, CA
Immunological influences on neuronal degeneration and regeneration
Awards, honors, publications:
- Scholarship, Granted by The Ohio State College of Medicine (2019-2020)
- Distinguished Teaching Assistant Award, Granted by four faculty at University of California, Los Angeles- Integrative Biology and Physiology Department (June 2017)
- University Fellowship, Granted by University of California Dean, Graduate Division Robin L. Garrell, PhD (January-June 2017)
- Kobayakawa K, DePetro KA, Zhong H, Pham B, Hara M, Harada A, Nogami J, Ohkawa Y, Edgerton VR. Locomotor Training Increases Synaptic Structure With High NGL-2 Expression After Spinal Cord Hemisection. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2019 Mar;33(3):225-231.
- KA DePetro, C Juan-Sing, S Zdunowski, H Zhong, N Tillakaratne, VR Edgerton. Behavioral and histological changes suggest possible mechanisms underlying the use of epidural stimulation for recovery of voluntary locomotion after incomplete spinal cord injury. 2017 Southern California Biomedical Sciences Graduate Student Symposium- Oral presentation and poster session.
Long term goals and aspirations:
To practice medicine and run a basic science research lab. I’d like to be involved in realizing a novel recovery mechanism in neurological disorders such as spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, etc.
Post MSTP training dream job:
To run a lab focused on immunological influences on neurodegeneration and recovery while practicing medicine treating patients with various neurological disorders in the clinic. I’d also like to hold a faculty position teaching undergraduate and/or medical students.
What you enjoy outside of school:
Sewing, calligraphy, interior design, and exercising.
A talent you have always wanted:
To be able to sing.
"The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky
“No grit, no pearl.”
Can’t live without:
Oxygen and a good social support system.
If you weren’t in MSTP, what would you be doing now?
I’d start a demo/restoration company flipping homes.