Why choose Ohio State for your visiting student rotation?
Ohio State offers you with the opportunity to be on the front lines providing high level care at one of the nation’s top academic medical centers. The Ohio State College of Medicine has seven health science colleges and is ranked the 14th most diverse medical school in the United States by U.S. News & World Report. Our goal is to expose students to a multidisciplinary approach to medical practice, provide experience with common problems, diagnosis and management, teach and refine examination skills, and familiarize students with common procedures.
Students complete their rotations through The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, where they gain experience serving a diverse patient population. Consistently ranked on the Best Hospitals list by U.S. News & World Report for 30 years, the Wexner Medical Center is also nationally ranked in 9 adult specialties and rated high performing in three adult specialties and 14 procedures and conditions. The hospital's specialties include cancer treatment, sports medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, and heart and vascular care.
How to apply to be a visiting student at Ohio State
The Ohio State University College of Medicine accepts applications for electives through Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) offered by the American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC). For the 2023-2024 academic year, you will be able to view the catalog and schedule in VSLO starting January 23, 2023. Elective acceptance notifications will be sent beginning March 27, 2023. Please note, we do not offer two-week rotations or accept international students. Students may complete only one visiting rotation for the 2023/2024 academic year.
- At least 8 WEEKS PRIOR to the start of the rotation, submit your application via VSLO. Notifications will be sent beginning March 27, 2023.
- Within 1 WEEK from the date your acceptance notification is sent, you must accept or decline the offer in VSLO.
- Within 3-5 days of your acceptance, you will receive a welcome letter via email from the visiting students coordinator. This email will provide further instructions regarding completing assignments before your rotation begins. Be advised, if this information is not received in a timely manner, your rotation slot could be jeopardized.
- Within 1 WEEK from receiving the welcome letter, the following items must be received:
- OSU Administrative Processing Fee of $75 (payable by check, written to "The Ohio State University,” and mailed to The Ohio State University College of Medicine, attn Dennis Johnson, 333 W 10th Ave, 1178A Graves Hall, Columbus, OH 43210)
- Self-Disclosure Form (complete and upload to VSLO - DO NOT MAIL)
- At least 4 WEEKS PRIOR to the start of the rotation, the following items must be received (further instructions included in acceptance email). This documentation should be uploaded to VSLO application.
- ACLS Card (copy uploaded or verification in VSLO) – BLS is not accepted
- OSU HIPAA Assessment (answer pages only)
- Flu Shot Verification (must be from most current immunization season)
- Toxicology Screen 10 Panel (dated within 12 months prior to rotation begin date) for Amphetamines, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Cocaine, Methadone, Opiates, Oxycodone, PCP, Propoxyphene and THC
- COVID-19 Immunization Verification
All questions regarding rotations at the Ohio State University College of Medicine or the application process can be directed to:
Departments with Visiting Student rotation opportunities