The Ohio State University Department of Neurological Surgery offers a one-month sub-internship opportunity to qualifying fourth-year Ohio State medical students and visiting medical students who have completed their core rotations. You will spend that month gaining clinical experience in a variety of complex neurosurgical cases, such as brain tumors, spinal surgery, trauma, functional disorders, pediatrics, occlusive vascular surgery and peripheral nerve conditions. In addition to extensive clinical experience on the hospital floor, in surgery suites and in clinics, sub-interns attend conferences and rounds with residents and attending physicians.
To apply, visit the Association for American Medical Colleges (AAMC) for an application. You should apply at least 8 weeks prior to the desired rotation. Please contact Dennis Johnson with any questions about applying to The Ohio State University College of Medicine as a visiting student.
Prerequisites: Completion of core rotations. Must be prearranged. To schedule rotations, visit the Office of Medical Education for more information.
- Daily rounds with staff and residents
- Attendance at conferences
- Workup at least one patient a day
- Follow patients you have worked up and go to surgery with them
- Discuss workups and patient evaluations with staff and attending resident
- Make presentations or patients and assigned material
- Evaluate patients in outpatient setting
- Pediatric neurosurgery exposure is available upon request
Program Neurosurgery (Med 4)
Organization Neurological Surgery
Curriculum Usage Med 4 DOC-4, Med 4 ELEC