About Ohio State's Diagnostic Neuroradiology Fellowship
The Neuroradiology Fellowship is a one-year ACGME-accredited position with an option for a second year, which is not accredited. The position begins in July and ends in June, coinciding with the academic year. The second year is for those interested in an academic career or additional training in oncologic neuroradiology.
- 12-month ACGME-accredited neuroradiology fellowship program
- Opportunity to work with 11 fellowship-trained neuroradiologists from various backgrounds and areas of expertise, including head and neck and advanced imaging
- Will gain familiarity with appropriate clinical application of neuroimaging techniques and modalities including computed tomography, MR imaging, conventional radiography and nuclear medicine
- Comprehensive exposure to a variety of imaging pathology within the brain, spine and head and neck, including neuro-oncological imaging from the James Cancer Hospital, the largest cancer hospital in the Midwest and third largest cancer hospital in the nation
- Hands-on experience performing various interventional procedures including lumbar punctures, myelography, image-guided biopsies and drainage procedures, interventional pain management procedures and vertebroplasties
- Exposure to additional neurointerventional procedures, including diagnostic cerebral angiography, endovascular treatment of aneurysms and vascular lesions and carotid stenting
- Multiple teaching conferences (including dedicated fellow didactic conferences, neuroradiology case conferences and jounal club/research discussions) and neuropathology or other interdisciplinary clinical conferences are held regularly to enhance the educational experience of the fellow
- Access to various research and other scholarly activity opportunities among multiple active research, educational and quality improvement projects currently being conducted by neuroradiology faculty
- The neuroradiology fellow has the option to advance his or her knowledge in the field of medical imaging informatics and participate in innovative research in artificial intelligence as part of his or her elective and/or research projects. This is available through a collaboration with the AI2 Lab (Laboratory for Augmented Intelligence in Imaging). The Ohio State University AI2 Lab is one of the few laboratories in the country dedicated to leverage machine leaning and advanced computer systems to improve patient care and imaging diagnosis. Neuroradiology fellows interested in this pathway will interact directly with one of our neuroradiology attendings, Dr. Luciano M. Prevedello, MD, MPH, Division Chief of Medical Imaging Informatics and Director of the 3D and Advanced Visualization Lab
- By the end of the fellowship, candidates will become comfortable interpreting routine and complex neuroradiology cases in either a private practice or academic career setting
Applications for the 2022-2023 academic year will only be accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service ERAS. Fellowship application submission through ERAS will begin in late November, with applications becoming available for programs to review on December 1, 2020.
The Neuroradiology program will continue to participate in the National Residency Matching Program NRMP. The NRMP has set the following dates:
- March 2021 (date TBA): Match opens
- April 2021 (date TBA): Ranking opens
- May 2021 (date TBA): Quota change deadline
- May 2021 (date TBA): Ranking closes
- June 2021 (date TBA): Match Day
- July 1, 2022: Training begins
Applicants must have completed an ACGME or equivalent accredited diagnostic radiology residency for eligibility and must register for the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). The program number for neuroradiology is 1566423F0.
Please note, all applicants must be a U.S. citizen and must be able to obtain a full and unrestricted license in the State of Ohio prior to starting the fellowship.
Matthew C. Lang
Department of Radiology
395 W. 12th Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Meet the Program Director:
Hasel Wayne Slone, MD