About Ohio State's Breast Imaging Fellowship
The Stefanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center is a state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary outpatient clinic located in Columbus, Ohio. It is part of the Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute, which is the third largest cancer hospital in the United States. The breast imaging section performs approximately 52,000 studies annually including 30,000 screening mammograms and 11,000 diagnostic mammograms. In addition, more than 9,000 breast ultrasound and breast MRI exams are performed annually. Nearly 2,500 interventional procedures are performed each year and include mammographic and sonographically guided wire localizations, radiation seed placements and stereotactic, sonographic and MRI-guided core biopsies. The breast imaging section is staffed by eight fellowship trained breast imagers who work solely at the breast center.
Fellows who complete the program will become skilled at:
Interventional Breast Procedures:
- Ultrasound-guided core and vacuum biopsies
- Stereotactic biopsies (including tomosynthesis-guided biopsies with and without the lateral arm)
- MRI guided-biopsies
- Radioactive seed localization and wire localizations
- Screening and Diagnostic Mammography (2D and 3D with c-view)
- Diagnostic Ultrasound and Automated Screening Breast Ultrasound
- Breast MRI
- Contrast Enhanced Mammography
Breast imaging fellows are offered a month-long elective in breast oncology specialties (encompassing exposure to breast pathology, surgical oncology, hematology-oncology and radiation oncology) as well as academic time to complete one required research project.
Graduates of the program are successfully equipped to join either academic or private practice.
The Breast Imaging Fellowship is a one-year non-accredited program. Please note that an applicant may only apply to one fellowship program. Although the Breast Imaging Fellowship is unaccredited, the program does participle in the NRMP Match.
Now accepting applications for the 2021-2022 academic year!
Application must include:
- Fellowship application (please type, as this is a writeable PDF)
- Personal statement
- Copy of USMLE and/or COMLEX transcript
- Copy of medical school transcript
- Three recent letters of recommendation (within one year)
**All applicants must be a U.S. citizen and must be able to obtain a full and unrestricted license in the State of Ohio prior to starting the fellowship.
We will adhere to the 2021 Match timeline set forth by the Society of Chairs of Academic Radiology Departments, and along with SCARD encourages programs to hold solely virtual interviews due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The dates for the 2021 Radiology Fellowship Match for 2022 appointments are:
- August 1, 2020: Programs may accept applications
- November 1, 2020: Virtual Interview Period begins
- March 2021 (date TBA): Match opens
- April 2021 (date TBA): Ranking opens
- May 2021 (date TBA): Quota change deadline
- May 2021 (date TBA): Ranking closes
- June 2021 (date TBA): Match Day
- July 1, 2022: Training begins
The Match is sponsored by the Society of Breast Imaging and it will be managed by the National Resident Matching Program. In order to become a fellow with The Ohio State University, you must register with the Radiology Match, of which breast imaging is a part. Breast imaging has implemented an All In Policy for the Match. This means that programs participating in the Match cannot extend any offers to candidates outside of the Match. Applicants can withdraw from the Match prior to the ranking deadline if they accept a position outside of the Match.
Cost of the Match: Applicants will pay a $75 registration fee to register for the Match.
Applications should be mailed or emailed to the education program manager, Hannah Nichols.
Fellowship and Faculty Development Program Manager
Department of Radiology
395 W. 12th Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Meet the Program Director:
Mitva Patel, MD